HC Tips for a Stress-Free Exam Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s that time of year again! It’s getting colder by the day, classes are coming to an end and exams are right around the corner. If you’re like me, you’re probably stressing a little! Not to worry, here at Her Campus, we’ve compiled a guide on how to prepare for the exam season so you’re stress free when it comes time to studying!

Create a schedule
I can’t stress this point enough! I’m a planner myself so creating lists and schedules calms me down. Figure out the dates and times for all your exams and the content you have to study for every class.
Then get out a planner and figure out exactly what you’re going to study, for how long and when. Creating a timetable for studying is a great way to be prepared; you know exactly what to do and when. A good idea is to over estimate how much time you’ll need to study for each class giving yourself plenty of time to get everything done so you don’t get stressed if you miss a study session. Another important thing to schedule in is your time; don’t forget to give yourself some time to relax so that you don’t get overwhelmed.

Get all your notes
Get out your syllabus and make sure you have all the notes for every class and chapter you’ve covered that may appear on your exam. If you’re missing some, don’t be afraid to ask someone in class for notes or your friends. If your professor gave out handouts during the semester, past exams or study tips you may have missed, make sure you ask a friend or the professor so you have everything you need to study. You’ll feel much better come study time if you know you have all your notes and you’ll save time later if you have everything now.

Understand the content
It’s a good idea to skim your notes or syllabus to make sure you understand everything. If there is something you’re even remotely confused about, ask your prof! They’re happy to help so take advantage of the remaining class time and their office hours to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Find your study space

Now is a good time to figure out where you study best. Pick a place where you’re comfortable and can concentrate. Some people prefer to study at home whilst others are more productive at the library. If you can’t stand Weldon, visit some of the other libraries and see how you study there; you could try Huron, Brescia, Kings or other libraries on campus like the Law library.  Wherever you choose to study, make sure you don’t have too many distractions. Finding a good place to study is key to a productive study session.

Follow these tips before you get down to actually studying and you’ll have a stress free exam season. Make sure to catch our exam tips in the coming weeks to help you get through the exam season! Happy studying collegiettes! 

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.