Confessions Of A Non-Drinker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Alcohol is everywhere.

It’s there at the family get-together, the movie night with friends, an evening out with the significant other, even a night of binge watching Netflix. Wherever you turn, alcohol is beckoning.

Nowadays, I like to consider myself a unicorn (basically nonexistent), because I am a non-drinker. I think the most shocking part is not that I don’t like it (let’s be real, who drinks because they actually like the taste of alcohol?), but rather that I choose to not drink. Even when I do find something I kind of like (which is rare), I will only drink very small amounts, if any at all. The truth is, not only do I not like alcohol, I truly hate the way it affects me. I’m a 5’2” 118 lbs female—holding down my alcohol is not my forte, to say the least.

I remember the first time I ever got really, really drunk. I went downtown with a close friend and started to drink on an empty stomach. Unfortunately, I wasn’t sipping on 5% alcoholic beverages; I was knocking back vodka shots (thanks to a bad influence). It tasted horrible, but it was making me giggly, and in turn, more sociable. But once I got past the “buzz phase,” I quickly entered the “too drunk phase.” The room began to spin, my stomach churned with nausea and I felt out of control. I didn’t handle it well. By the end of the evening, I was sitting on the bathroom floor crying because I felt so terrible.  

I know it was only one time, and that it was my own fault. Everyone always tells me not to let one bad experience dictate my opinion of alcohol; however, the truth is it’s not a matter of having one bad experience—it’s a matter of me realizing that I don’t want to try to be like everyone else anymore.

I am a non-drinker. I prefer chocolate milk over a glass of wine, virgin Caesars over vodka and ginger ale over beer. I don’t crave the feeling alcohol gives me; in fact, I hate it. There is nothing scarier for a perfectionist and control freak like myself to feel scatterbrained and out of control. Alcohol just doesn’t give me the satisfaction it gives most people.

Although alcohol plays a large part in university life, as a non-drinker, I tend to experience it from the sidelines. I get to hear about the drunk stories, the drunk mishaps, the drunk fun—but I never take part in it. Instead, I get to watch and observe. For those of you like me, you know exactly what I’m talking about. So, on behalf of my fellow non-drinkers, I give you a list of confessions:

1. Alcohol Changes People

This is obvious to most people (even drinkers), but it’s especially recognizable to those with sober eyes. Sometimes the change can be good, and sometimes it can be really bad. For those of you who do drink, I suggest asking a sober friend what you’re like drunk—you don’t want to become a cautionary tale.

2. Just Because I Don’t Drink, It Doesn’t Mean I Can’t Be Fun

I feel like there are a lot of negative connotations surrounding the “sober friend.” Just because I’m not drinking or getting totally smashed, doesn’t mean I’m not fun to go out with. I know it can be a damper to have a friend thinking with a clear head, but when you’re drunk, those are the kinds of people you need around.

3. Yes, Get Over It—I Don’t Drink

I can’t express how exhausting it is to constantly repeat myself: I. Do. Not. Drink. So what? Don’t judge me for not drinking, and I won’t judge you for drinking. You can stop the eye-boggling now.

4. How Much For A Case of Beer?

Just know that when I hear about the different drinks you buy at the LCBO, I’m mentally adding up how many cute outfits I could get for the same price.

5. Downtown Is A Nightmare

While yes, the sober friend can still be fun on a night out, it doesn’t mean it’s fun to go out. Being surrounded by drunk people in a small space is every non-drinker’s nightmare—it’s loud, obnoxious and painful! When sober, you easily notice how many people step on you. Not to mention how many beers are thrown on you, too.

6. I Enjoy Being The Designated Driver

Not only does being designated driver exempt me from the pressures of having a drink, but it’s also rewarding. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing that my friends have gotten home safely.

7. I’m Proud to Be a Non-Drinker

Although being a non-drinker may not sound very fun, I’m happy with the lifestyle I’ve chosen for myself. I’m not going to force myself to be someone I’m not just to fit in. While I respect people’s decision to drink, I only hope that the respect is returned when I choose not to.

Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and Junior Editor/Writer for Her Campus at Western. You can typically find me in the world of English literature.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.