Susan Salib: Queen of Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.
With a smile as bright as the sun and a personality as vivacious as life itself, it’s no surprise as to why Susan Salib is our Campus Cutie of the week! 
Program: Legal Studies and Business 
Faculty: Arts 
Year: 3B

Favourite food: Blackberries and shawarma… and sometimes, breaded chicken. No, steak! I love all food. I do not like to discriminate. But when it comes down to it, if I was stuck on a desert island, it would have to be steak and blackberries.  

Celebrity look-a-like: That’s a great question! Somebody actually once told me I could be the fifth understudy for Rachel McAdams. I was like ‘Fifth!?’ *laughs* On another occasion, this older man, maybe in his 80’s, stopped me at the grocery store and said I looked like a Bollywood actress….One of the more interesting chats I’ve had. 

You have amazing skin! Can you tell me about your skin care routine? I have zero skin care routine. I actually use hand soap to wash my face. But- I do cream my face twice a day, for what it’s worth. 

How do you stay so confident? Honestly, I think humility and confidence go hand in hand. Serving other people, putting others before yourself, that stuff on the inside… you begin to love life more. You begin to love yourself more. It becomes about others and not about you. It shows up on the outside. I have great self-esteem but it’s not because of the way I look -I feel like confidence is in the way that you carry yourself. You have to own what you have and be kind to all. 

What advice can you give others to build their confidence? I guess I would say, you have to detach the way that you feel from the way people perceive you. If you depend on what other people say, you’re never going to be confident. It’s obviously super hard to do and at times, I really don’t have this down but once you have this base of not being dependent on other people, you can own what you have in a more wholesome way. 

What is your idea of a perfect date?  Imperfect dates are the most entertaining. For example, when you’re supposed to go out on a nice, typical picnic, but it starts to rain so you end up in a gazebo; you end up having the best chats of your life. I also love a good burger. That’s all I’m going to say about that. 

What is the worst Christmas present you have ever gotten? I hate to be cliché, but I honestly don’t think I ever hated a Christmas present. Although, I used to get candles in early elementary school, which was awesome until, my mom took them away for fear of me burning the house down. So for all my family and friends reading this, I still love a good candle. 

What is your favourite thing about being a warrior? We can be nerdy and own it at the same time. 

Describe yourself in three words: Living on Grace.
Tasnia is currently a student at the University of Waterloo in the Honours Rhetoric and Professional Writing Coop Program. With an interest in journalism and the communication industry, her passions include reading, writing, and watching commercials on YouTube. Follow her on twitter @tasnia_n! 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!