Embarking on the Canadian Experience With Community Leader & Social Director, Hayston Lam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Name: Hayston Lam

Age: 20

Program: International Development

Are you struggling with a monotonous life in Waterloo? Do you want the opportunity to meet other people while having a fun time with new friends? Well, look no further than Hayston Lam! As one of the two community leaders for Waterloo’s International Peer Community (IPC), and the social director of the International and Canadian Student Network (ICSN), Hayston is making sure that UW students are feeling welcomed, making friends and having fun.

What are the responsibilities of the members in IPC and ICSN?

A shared purpose of both programs is to help international students transition into life by hosting events to familiarize with Canadian culture and create a social support network. As volunteers for these programs, you will be expected to interact on a weekly basis with international students from all around the world and different cultures. In IPC, volunteering takes on a much more professional mentor role. While in ICSN, volunteers primarily help with the execution of weekly events. So strong interpersonal skills are crucial!

What’s your favourite part about IPC and ICSN?

My favourite part about IPC and ICSN is the connections that I make in each program respectively. It’s amazing to host an event, and then later run into students on campus telling you how much fun they had at your event. Knowing that I’ve made a significant role in improving someone’s life is an incredibly fulfilling feeling.

What events does your club host that students on campus should look for?

IPC hosts weekly events catered to the interests of general members, and is exclusive to volunteers and general members that have signed up for the program. Past examples of IPC events have included a bonfire at Columbia Icefield Lake firepit with free food, and a ‘carnival’ event with a lot of prizes to be won.

ICSN hosts weekly events including Babble Café at the Grad House on Tuesdays and Cultural Connection on Thursdays. Feel free to contact me if you want to check out one of our events and see what events are like!

What’s your motto?

Always be optimistic and make the best of everything! Sometimes as a leader, you may feel like your event is burning down and crashing – but just know that everything will be all right in the end because there’s that one student that genuinely enjoyed your event.

How can we find out more about the organizations you work with?

To find out more about IPC, feel free to email me at hh3lam@uwaterloo.ca or visit the official page at https://uwaterloo.ca/international-students/programs/international-peer-community. To find out more about ICSN, feel free to email me at social.icsn@gmail.com or visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/UW.ICSN/.

A University of Waterloo student who loves to read, write, and empower women!
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets