5 Ideas for a Stay-At-Home NYE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. Jenga

Whether its “truth or dare” or a less PG-rated version of the game this is a classic game that you can reinvent for any gathering. Depending on the version you decide to go with, write instructions on each piece (e.g. “truth” vs “dare or “take one drink”) so that when your BFF pulls a brick out of the stack she has to do what’s written on it.

2. Watch a Movie

Ending the year with your favourite movie(s) is a great way to spend a portion of the day. Grab your favourite snacks, pop some popcorn, and invite everyone over for a movie marathon. This is perfect for someone that prefers more minimalist plans that don’t require a lot of effort.

3. Play Games

There are lots of fun games and activities you can play with your besties to ring in the new year. “Cards Against Humanity” and “What Do You Meme” are two of my personal favourites. If that type of game isn’t really your style there are lots of other options to choose from!

4. Food

Depending on how extravagant you want to make your gathering, you can just get bags of chips and some dip or you can channel your inner MasterChef and create something Gordon Ramsay himself would approve of. To make things a little bit easier on yourself you can also request that your friends bring something to contribute and have a potluck instead. If all else fails, everyone loves take-out!

5. Make Memory Jars

This is a DIY activity that you can do solo or with a group of friends/family. You’ll need a jar of your choice (I’d recommend a mason jar), pretty paper, and various decorations (paint, ribbons, stickers, markers, etc.). Take your jar and decorate them as your heart desires, then leave it to dry. Once the clock strikes 12am you can make your very first memory. Take a smaller piece of paper and record the date/time and memory, then place it in your jar and seal it. You can do this every day or on special occasions but when December 31st, 2018 rolls around, you can reflect on all of your memories throughout the year.

Sources: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5

Aurora is a fourth year Honours Science student minoring in both Biology and Human Resources Managment. She is a self proclaimed Netflix enthusiast and is obsessed with her dog.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!