Your Guide To the Best Chai Tea Lattes in Seattle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I do not drink coffee: and I live in Seattle – in the City of Coffee, what do I enjoy then? Chai Tea Lattes, a spiced black tea latte mixed with steamed milk and cinnamon: Chai means “Tea” in many countries in the world, and it’s commonly said that its origin is in India. Many cafes in Seattle serve this heavenly “Tea” Tea Latte; Among over 15 tea places I have tried, here are the top three!

1. Tea Republik – U-District, Capitol Hill

The five-star Tea empire in Seattle. Every single tea at the Tea Republik is creative both in terms of name and taste: Chocolate Chimp Chai, Elephant Vanilla Chai, Giraffe Decaf Chai, Kama Sutra Chai, Tiger Spice Chai, Tortoise Green Tea Chai……

Via the Corydon

Personally, I am a huge fan of their house blends as well. The basic would be Vanilla Monk’s Blend: the specially blended black tea with cream (or soy milk) and vanilla flavor. If you want something refreshing and fruity, Tropical Rainforest would be the one!

via Yelp

Also, the cozy and relaxing vibe in the shop makes you want to live there. Tea Republik is suitable for studying, reading, having meetings or simply hanging out with your friends. It is a MUST-go in Seattle, regardless of whether you are a tea person or not.

2. Post Alley Cafe – U-District

via Post Alley Cafe

The very city-like corner Cafe. Although the shop is mainly popular for the coffee partnering with the Herkimer Coffee, their Chai Tea Latte is pleasant as well. Compared to other shops, it has more milky and mild taste, perfect if you’re not a fan of spice. They also serve delicious pastries!

photo by Kao Highvalley

The interior of the cafe creates welcoming and relaxing environment: decorated with black and white pictures of old Seattle, specifically the Post Alley at the Pike Place Market, where the owner’s family sold fresh products for decades. Since it actually is inside of the Hotel DECA, you can also enjoy your drinks at the lobby with comfortable couches and fireplace.

3. Street Bean Coffee – Belltown, U-District

The easily accessible oasis will put a smile on anyone’s face. The Street Bean Coffee is a nonprofit multi-roaster cafe founded in 2009 by the staff at the New Horizons, a homeless shelter specializing in helping at-risk youth. Their mission is to provide the street-involved young people opportunities to work and discover own abilities through the employment experiences and interactions with customers.

via Daily Coffee News

Their chai tea latte is very special. The well-trained baristas serve every cup with latte art as well as their heart-warming smile. Whoever comes inside the cafe must feel the exceptionally friendly vibe along with the high-quality coffee and tea: no wonder the place is very popular in the neighborhood.

photo by Kao Highvalley

Personally, I like visiting the one in Belltown, 1 to 2 minutes away from the Space City. With the cup of Chai Tea Latte in my hand, I take a walk towards the Westlake station: the 4th and 5th Avenues are the perfect streets especially on a sunny day, and you feel like you’re in the opening shot of an indie movie.