This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

via tumblr

Waiting up until the wee hours of the morning waiting for your roommate to return home from her date, because the fear of what may be happening to her pushes your drooping eyelids up. Anticipating the click of the front door lock, you are reminded for the thousandth time today that you are a woman. That you have learned to fear the fall of the sun and the charcoal sky that replaces it. That you must carefully consider the length of that skirt before you buy it. That you don’t have the luxury of drowning your mind in alcohol at the house party down the street, for fear of what situations await your uninhibited self. That for you, the buddy system isn’t simply a desire for someone to stand at the bar with, but rather, your lifeline to safety.

You are a woman. You catch the eyes of the stranger across from you scanning the length of your body, eventually coming back up to rest their sights on your chest. You walk home from school after the exposure of the skin covering your shoulders earned you a one-day suspension. You avoid eye contact with the person catcalling you as you walk down the street. You are a woman. You note that all your science and math classes are taught by males. You study the supermodels plastered on magazine covers at the supermarket, bookmarking all the things that they have and you don’t. You avoid those extra pieces of bread at dinner, fearing their reappearance on your bathroom scale.

But you are a woman. You are strong, caring, and fearless. You overcome society’s obstacles every day. You follow your passions, and you kick ass. You are beautiful, intelligent, and ambitious. You are a woman, and you wear the skin you’re in better than anyone else. You are powerful, and the world is your oyster. You support other strong and independent women, because their successes are in many ways your own. You are a woman, and you run the world. You know your value and accept nothing less. You are an artist, scientist, athlete, student, mother, teacher, CEO, politician, and musician. You are capable, impressive, and you belong to yourself.

You are a woman, and really, isn’t that the best thing to be?