UW Drama’s Unique Play Tackles Issues of Race & Fame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The curtains closed, leaving a sense of awe as we filed out of UW Meany Studio Theater in a daze last Sunday afternoon. It was a peculiar feeling—two hours ago we were staring at the empty dark stage with anticipation, not knowing what to expect, now the blank spaces in our minds are filled with colors. This was By the Way, Meet Vera Stark by Lynn Nottage, a wonderfully crafted play that tells the story of Vera Stark, an African American maid-turned-starlet’s journey in the Hollywood vintage film era. It is a story of black imagery, stereotypes and race. 

Diving into the plot of the story, the inciting incident that sparks the action in the beginning of the play is the audition for The Belle of New Orleans, a movie which grabbed all the aspiring actresses’ attention. From there on all the action, conflicts, drama, and thought-provoking discourse follows. Vera Stark is vying for the role of Tilly the maid in the film; she gets it, and became hugely famous for it, but that role will ultimately haunt her for the rest of her life. 

As the lights dimmed and stagehands brought out props in a slight rustle, the world of the play was first introduced with our protagonist Vera Stark as a maid helping starlet Gloria Mitchell rehearse lines for the screen test. Gloria—white, blonde, and slender in a shiny silvery gray dress—reclined on a long white sofa in a melodramatic pose. From the fancy chairs, delicate china vases sprouting white fluffy feathers, and a table cluttered with shiny glass bottles of wine, we could see that it was a luxurious place in the Hollywood golden age. From the very beginning to the end of act 1, the time period was set in 1933. However, starting from act 2, time fast forward to a panel of judges in 2003, analyzing Vera’s legacy in retrospect and looking back on Vera’s life from a 1973 talk show interview. This shows just how unique the world of this play is, creating a complete and a multidimensional picture of people, society and life. 

The two acts gave us a comprehensive view of what Vera was like during the vibrant 30s and how she changed in the 70s. Back in the day Vera was a maid with aspirations, proclaiming her dream in becoming a famous actress. She finally did, but her ultimate objective was so much more than that. She was a maid to actress Gloria in real life, and she acted as a maid in her breakout film. Her fame was established on pain that damages her dignity and individuality, which she can endure no more in an outburst: “Tilly was my glory, and she was my shame.” She wants to show that she is more than what her skin color dictates her role in society to be. During the 1973 talk show in act 2, the host kept cutting her off whenever she tried to bring up the subject of race and from her sardonic and exasperated tone, you could feel the uncomfortable tension that permeates throughout the interview. Yes, she was happy that she was adored by the audience for her performance, but a sense of bitterness also comes along that she simply cannot ignore. Her audacious and bold attitude shines through, from the pursuit of her dream as a young actress and even years later, when she tries to shine light on the twisted world and wrongness of racism, disappointed with how Hollywood crafted the stereotypical images of the “negro”. 

The actors did an outstanding job in portraying their characters and showcasing each of their distinctive qualities. Bria Henderson, who plays Vera’s roommate Lottie in the first act, was so memorable with her sassy and over-the-top attitude. Lottie is also an actress, sometimes chest deep in daydreams of her glorious stage career in the past, but often laments harsh realities. That doesn’t mean that she gave in to a life of sewing shirts and listening by the radio at home—her struggles and humorous cynicism show that she still longs for that kind of success each actress pursues. It was quite ironic to see Lottie and Vera getting so enthusiastic over a maid role that actually have lines, but it is a true depiction of how society was back then. Lottie projects her voice loudly and exaggerates her expression, so it was like we were going on the emotional rollercoaster ride along with her. 

The design, costumes, sets, props and how actors interact with them are important in helping the audience determine the character’s role within a larger spectrum of the play. For example, we can tell that Vera served as a maid by her clothes and the fact that she is constantly on her feet to fetch an object or pour a drink for Gloria. The vintage styled furniture and backdrop indicates that she was in the old Hollywood time period. In act two, the long metallic multicolored robe and turban that Vera wore indicates that it was not the 30’s anymore, but even though she was dressed as extravagantly as Gloria forty years later, she was still shadowed by Gloria, who represents the white, privileged class. So, the costume, the people and the scenic backdrops were all well-placed to paint a full picture of who Vera is. Furthermore, during the solos, there was not much background music while the actors were belting out songs: a single spotlight followed the actors as they roamed around the theater. The fact that they were not limited to the rectangular stage, and that props were being changed simultaneously so there would not be a moment of hesitation showcases brilliance in a seamless transition.

Each element of the play meshed effortlessly together, casting a spell and creating a unique experience for the audience with a clever method of story-telling. It was such an intelligent way of putting up a show—mixing and crisscrossing time periods, utilizing not only the stage itself to perform, diversifying the visual aspects with black-and-white videos in the background, and using both a lighthearted funny tone in act 1 and a serious one in act 2 to talk about racism… This was extremely special because it was on our very own campus! I didn’t need to run all the way to Paramount or Fifth Avenue and they gave us a Broadway-level performance. 

By the way, meet Vera Stark conveyed Vera’s life and shines light on the usually anonymous African American females, unveiling issues of race with quirky brushstrokes and will stick with us long after it ends.