Swimmin’ in Seattle: A Rough Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Yesterday, we saw a full day of actual “hot” weather in Seattle. Hopefully, you spent it out and about in the sun…swimming and getting a tan. But more realistically, you were probably indoors working or going to class. We here at HC Washington want you to be prepared the next time the sun surprises us and you need to take a dip. We’ve compiled this guide of Seattle public beaches for the upcoming summer season.

Green Lake: Most people come to Green Lake to run or walk their dogs. However, it’s also a popular spot for swimming. Green Lake has had an ongoing battle with beach closures and restrictions on swimming. This is mainly due to the VERY HIGH amounts of goose poop, algae blooms and things of that sort in the past. However, not too long ago, the city gave Green Lake the “OK” for swimmers, and people seem to swim there without any problems.
Yeah, yeah, I know they say it’s technically OK, but it still kind of freaks me out. There’s enough bird poop there for it to be an actual problem. Don’t get me wrong, Green Lake is beautiful and a very nice place to go for a
run, walk or ride. But you won’t see me swimming there anytime soon.

Madison Park Beach: Madison is one of the most popular beaches in Seattle. It’s also surprisingly clean and settled in a convenient location. There’s diving boards and swimming docks if you’re into that. However, on really nice days please beware of 1) hipster bros and 2) a terrible parking situation.

Madrona Park Beach: Madrona is a nice spot to swim. It’s usually quieter than most places, and with a little walking around, you will likely find your own secluded area. It’s in the middle of a neighborhood, so it’s not really in convenient walking distance of anything, but that could be what you’re looking for. I haven’t been there in a while, but I do remember having to step on twigs and rocks when I got out. Also, it’s a step above Green Lake, but that goose poop still needs to go!

Matthews Beach Park Beach: (lol that’s really what they call it on the Seattle Parks and Rec page) I only started going to Matthews Beach last summer. It’s a really nice grassy spot that is rather untouched by pesky birds and huge crowds. It’s also a very sweet little park, and you’ll see a lot of families there on nice days. I’ve never had a problem with parking there, but I’d imagine it may get pretty bad on days when the northenders need to swim.

Alki Beach/Golden Gardens/Any Puget Sound beach: Just trust us on this one, don’t swim in the Puget Sound. Scuba diving is one thing, swimming is another. You wanna swallow a mouth full of what whales give birth in? I had a friend who lived on Alki and found a dead goat washed up on the shore one night. Sexy.

Avalon is in her second year at the University of Washington, and currently pursuing a BA in Global Studies. When she's not in class, Avalon works at UWB's Learning Technologies center as a student assistant. She enjoys making lists, eating delicious food, watching movies, and crafting. Avalon's favorite town is probably Cabo San Lucas.