etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Party Smart: Your Guide to Staying Safe at Summer Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The season of outdoor music festivals is upon us as UW students swoop up passes to Paradiso, Electric Daisy Carnival, Watershed (and more)! Multi day festivals can be some of the most exciting events of summer with perfect weather, gorgeous scenery and the chance to camp and dance the night away with your best friends.  Sadly, over the past few years many festival reputations have been tainted due to tragic accidents involving dehydration, drug usage and other unsafe behavior. Before heading proceeding to party please take the time to prioritize your own health and wellbeing.

1. Drink Water like it’s your Job!

At venues like The Gorge mid day temperatures can reach the triple digits making proper hydration much more crucial than most Western Washington residents are used to.  If possible up your water intake prior to festival day, it’s a good idea to get used to drinking eight eight ounce glasses of water per day. Most festivals allow you to bring empty reusable water bottles into the venue and offer free water stations. Take advantage of free water stations whenever possible, however, if free hydration stations are unavailable it is important to suck it up and buy a water bottle even if it carries a hefty $5 price tag.

2. Lather on the Sunscreen.

As great as it feels to return from a weekend away feeling like a bronzed beach goddess it is important to remember the long term effects of sun exposure on your skin. Premature aging, sunspots and melanoma are all risks of sun exposure.  From day one it is important to lather on the sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher) to keep yourself from burning. You’ll be thankful when you’re trying to sleep on the rocky terrain of the loud campground that your skin isn’t burning and peeling as well. For more safe sun tips check out Cosmo’s “Practice Safe Sun” campaign.

3. Remember to eat.

Since festival food venues are usually ridiculously overpriced ($9 for a slice of pizza…wait what?!) it can be easy to forgo your regular meal schedule. However, since you’re probably dancing, wandering around with friends and frolicking through fields of daisies (or whatever) you are burning more calories than on a typical day in class. With long hours in the sun and little sleep it is extra important to give your body the nutrition it needs to keep you awake and active late into the night. If possible begin budgeting for overpriced concert food several weeks before your trip, you’ll be happy when you can afford three real meals each day.

4. Use the buddy system.

Most concert goers are radiating positive energy and good vibes, they’re there to enjoy the musical experience and have a good time. Since summer festivals tend to draw women in bikinis and other revealing summer attire there are occasionally a couple creeps hanging around who could care less about the music scene. While I would never suggest basing your wardrobe selections off of a predator it is important to remember that not everyone at a music festival will treat you with the respect you deserve. At larger music festivals it can be easy to become lost in crowds and potentially loose your friends for hours without anyone really realizing a potentially dangerous situation has occurred. As cheesy as it sounds the “buddy system” is a must. Always bring your cell phone with you into a concert and pick a friend to keep tabs on (and vice versa) no matter what. If you disappear at random your buddy will know to check in with you and make sure you really are just off saying hi to that cute guy from your chemistry lab as opposed to tied up in the back of some weirdo’s van. Being slightly paranoid isn’t a bad idea.

5. Know what you are putting in your Body.

Realistically summer festivals are a center for legal and illegal substances. While some substances such as alcohol and marijuana may be legal (provided you are over 21) it is important to partake responsibly. Remember to drink more water when you choose to drink alcohol, hold yourself accountable and as always if you see a friend is intoxicated prioritize their health and safety over a “good time”. There are bound to be opportunities to participate in illegal drugs at most music festivals. It can seem like popular party drugs like “MDMA” are harmless because so many people “roll” particularly at raves however it is incredibly important to know exactly which chemicals you are consuming.  Use those critical reasoning and strong research skills you’ve acquired in school to make educated decisions involving your physical and mental health.

The best way to ensure a positive festival experience this summer is by placing your safety first. You don’t have to sacrifice an amazing time with your friends to be safe, it simply requires a little preplanning when it comes to your physical and mental well being. Party smart, collegiettes!  

Jordyn is a history major, nanny and creative writing enthusiast. She spends her free time frolicking through fields of daisies, consuming copious amounts of iced mochas and blogging for her personal blog The Fairy Princess Diaries.