Alumni We Love: Mary Maxwell Gates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If you go to UW, or have even been on campus, you’ve probably heard the name “Mary Gates” or “Mary Maxwell Gates” from scholarships, halls, etc. But who was this bossy lady anyways?

Mary Gates was born Mary Maxwell in Seattle in 1929. She attended the University of Washington, and graduated class of 1950. It was there she met and married William H. Gates, Sr.

After she graduated, she begun teaching school throughout the 1950s. It was at this time she also started volunteering and served on the boards of a variety of places, including the Children’s Hospital Foundation, Seattle Symphony, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, and United Way of King County. She also served on several UW boards during her lifetime–the UW Medical Center Board, the School of Business Administration Board, as well as the UW Foundation Board of Directors.

Sadly, Mary Maxwell Gates passed away at the age of 64. She is remembered for her leadership and willingness to give. Presently, Mary Gates Hall at UW houses the UW Office of Undergraduate Education and the Information School. She was also credited in her obituary as helping her son (Bill Gates, maybe you’ve heard of him?) start up his itty-bitty company called “Microsoft”.

Avalon is in her second year at the University of Washington, and currently pursuing a BA in Global Studies. When she's not in class, Avalon works at UWB's Learning Technologies center as a student assistant. She enjoys making lists, eating delicious food, watching movies, and crafting. Avalon's favorite town is probably Cabo San Lucas.