5 Badass Women Who Are Owning February 2016

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

There are so many inspiring, intelligent, and strong women doing amazing things in the world this month. Here are just a few of them.

Elle King

(Elle King)

Elle King is not America’s Sweetheart. Last year, she was introduced to the public eye with her song “Ex’s and Oh’s”. It’s a super catchy song that has received a lot of well-deserved radio time, but it’s another one of King’s songs that makes her special this month. “America’s Sweetheart”, released last year but of recent fame, talks about imperfections, acceptance, and having confidence in one’s self. Lines like “No, there ain’t nothing that I gotta prove,” and “I think I’m pretty with these old boots on,” are what makes the song great. It serves as a gentle reminder that you don’t need to be crowned “Sweetest Girl in America” to accept yourself and be happy with who you are.

(The Ellen Show)

Taylor Swift

(Crushable)

Everyone knows that 2015 was the year of the Swift. Now it looks like her reign goes on. Last week, Kanye West released “Famous”, a song that includes the line “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex, I made that b**** famous”. Swift’s fans were having none of it, and at the Grammy’s this past weekend, she made it clear that neither was she. In an eloquent and mature way, she addressed the situation indirectly during her acceptance speech for Album of the Year,

“There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success, or take credit for your accomplishments, or your fame. But if you just focus on the work, and if you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday when you get where you’re going, you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there. And that will be the greatest feeling in the world.”

Let that sink in.

(CBS)

Katheryn Winnick

(Toronto Star)

On-screen and real life bad ass, Katheryn Winnick stars as Lagertha on History Channel’s Vikings. Aside from just playing a character that kicks butt left and right, she is fully capable of doing it in the real world. A third-degree Black Belt in Tae Kwan Doe, she went on to open her own martial arts school at age16, became a licensed body guard, taught stunts to actors, and finally became an actress herself. Now she’s back for Season 4 of Vikings, which just premiered this past Thursday. On top of it all, she seems like a lovely person and would make a good role model for anyone.

(Rachael Ray Show)

Grace Helbig

(Simon and Schuster)

Comedian Grace Helbig just became a bestselling author. Again. On February 2nd, she released her second book, Grace & Style, a style guide that makes fun of style guides. Both critics and everyday people are raving about it, and it shows; the book has already skyrocketed up Amazon’s bestseller charts. Helbig even made a guest appearance at the University Book Store on the Ave last week to sign some books and take some pictures. Actress, YouTuber, podcast host, and now two-time bestselling author; is there anything she can’t do?

(Grace Helbig)

Ronda Rousey

(The Ellen Show)

Known for her confidence and physical strength, MMA fighter Ronda Rousey is now being commended for her vulnerability. This week on Ellen, she confided that she fell into a depression and contemplated suicide after last year’s loss to Holly Holm. By bringing up such a difficult and emotional subject, she promotes the idea that battling depression or suicidal thoughts isn’t something that makes you weak, but instead something that makes you strong. In the words of Ellen DeGeneres,

“I’m grateful you did say that because there are a lot of people out there that have thoughts like that and they’re looking at you, going ‘Wow, if she can have thoughts like that…’ So you just did a lot of good, for a lot of people. So thank you for saying that.”

(The Ellen Show)

Now go out there and be your most badass self. 

San Francisco native studying at the Univerisity of Washington, Seattle. Kathryn's goal is to major in Psychology, but she hopes to take lots of history and english classes along the way. In her free time she loves reading, watching TV, and daydreaming about writing a book someday.