What’s REALLY in Your Salad?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Wondering why you’re not losing weight? It may be your salad! SHOCKER!

When a salad tastes so good, it is easy to order them for every meal. I mean, creamy caesar dressings, sweet cranberries, and it’s good for me! Eating healthy is easy! However, it is easy to order a salad that contains an entire day’s worth of calories if you aren’t careful. These five restaurants have salads on their menus that are at least 810 calories!

Giphy.com

1. Bertucci’s Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad – 810 calories

2. Uno’s Honey Crisp Chicken Salad – 900 calories

3. California Pizza Kitchen Salad – 1,290 calories

4. Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad – 1,400 calories

5. Cheesecake Factory Sheila’s Chicken and Avocado Salad – 1,890 calories

thecheesecakefactory.com

BUT, don’t cut salad out of your diet!! There are easy tricks to make sure you’re not overeating in terms of calories. First of all, eating everything in moderation is key. Try getting a half order and then order more if you’re still hungry. You most likely won’t be! Next, ask for dressing on the side so you can regulate how much goes on. Dressing is usually where the calories come from so this will make a big difference. I know we all love the cheese too, but asking for it on the side or without at all will be a major calorie cutter. Now, enjoy your new and improved, low calorie salads! Enjoy!!!

Izzy Coffman is a freshmen in the School of Arts and Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis. Her favorite things include food instagrams, anything pale pink, and Facetime. 
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.