Three Things to Do in St Louis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

In St. Louis, there’s never a shortage of things to do– but when temperatures drop, a walk through Forest Park, a visit to the Zoo, or a stroll down Delmar doesn’t sound as appealing as it did in the sunny, summery days of August and September. Well, look no further for some ideas that will keep you toasty warm (but not stuck in your dorm room) in the coming months!

1. The St. Louis Art Museum.

Sure, a day at the art museum might not sound like an exciting weekend venture, but the St. Louis Art Museum is a definite departure from the stuffy, silent museum stereotype. The museum boasts multiple floors of modern and historical artwork, plus a new exhibit, “Thomas Struth: Nature & Politics,” which is open until January 21, 2018. If you’re willing to splurge, visit the restaurant in the museum, Panorama, for brunch– the views of the fall colors on Art Hill are better than any painting on display.

image source

2. The St. Louis Science Center.

Want to get away from the Midwest chill? Take a trip to Egypt– Ancient Egypt, that is. The SLSC’s special exhibition, “The Discovery of King Tut,” will take you on a journey through the mysterious tomb of Tutankhamun, where you will have the chance to become an archaeologist for a day and examine recreations of over a thousand of King Tut’s burial treasures. While you’re there, take a tour of the night sky and catch a show at the James S. McDonnell Planetarium.

image source

3. Steinberg Skating Rink.

Okay, okay– you’ll have to bundle up for this one. But a visit to this outdoor skating rink, which operates seasonally in Forest Park, will be totally worth your chattering teeth. Whether you’re an Elsa or an Anna on the ice, you’ll have the time of your life, and hot chocolate from the on-site Snowflake Cafe will warm your frozen heart in no time. Grab a few friends, rent a pair of skates, and partake in this can’t-miss St. Louis holiday tradition.

image source

So break your hats and scarves out of winter storage– happy holidays!

by Laura Kern

Washington University Class of 2019. College of arts and sciences, Psychology major with a minor in Design