Talia Laifer (2018)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As you’ve probably noticed, chokers are making a comeback, and girls everywhere are scrambling to find their black and rainbow duds from their 2005 phase (or heading over to Claire’s, whatever). If you’re like everyone else, you’re probably getting a little sick of the plain black webbed look and it’s got you feeling a little too mainstream. If you’re looking to get a bit trendier (and funnier!) look no further than freshman Talia Laifer’s new endeavor. Read on to learn more about Jewels by Tea and get your own look.

Hometown: Westchester, NY

(Expected) Major/Minor: Marketing, Entrepreneurship minor in Communication Design

On-campus involvement: Armour, Israel Business Club, Real Estate Club

Tell me a little bit about how Jewels by Tea came to be: Well, I withdrew from Calc a month into this semester, so I’ve been kind of bored as a part time student. I was looking for cool chokers online because I’m addicted to online shopping, and found that there was no such thing as the perfect, one of a kind choker. So I made my own and people kept asking for them, so I then set up a Venmo and an Instagram and here we are. (Also this all occurred last week so props to HerCampus for being really quick to notice)

Have you always had an artistic side or is this something you just started enjoying doing? I’m not artistically talented in any way, but I definitely have a creative mind and love fashion and visual art so I really enjoy making these necklaces. 

What kinds of options can people request for their chokers? Is there a “menu” so to speak or is it totally personalized? Right now, I have a few snarky messages to put on my chokers, including “MISSOURI” and “choke me” which have been pretty popular, but since I’ve literally just started, it’s mostly just customization. I have different beads, strings, etc. so each choker can be really unique.

What’s your favorite choker you’ve made so far? I’m definitely feeling the Missouri necklaces. They are just so blatant and funny because most of the people wearing them definitely aren’t from the Midwest. 

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.