Michelle Unger (2016)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

If you’re tired of wearing the same overpriced, tired winter accessories from the same stores you always go to, then look no further than one of our very own WashU students.  That’s right, this week’s Campus Celeb, Michelle Unger ’16, has turned her hobby for knitting into a full-blown business: Knit by Meesh.  Check out her website for her trendy headbands and other warm, seasonal accessories: http://knitbymeesh.weebly.com/gallery.html! In the mean time, read on to find out a little more about what makes this knitting entrepreneur tick.

Grade?  Sophomore.

Hometown?  Bethesda, MD.

Major?  Anthropology with a communication design.

Before we get started, what’s your go-to karaoke song?  “Zero to Hero” from Hercules. 

Favorite food?  Funnel cake, realistically.

Ok so, tell me about this business:  Well I originally wanted to get a job, but because my schedule is so crazy this semester, I had the idea to turn the headbands that I was already knitting for my friends into a business.

What’s it called? Knit by Meesh.  I knit headbands of different stitches and styles, and I can monogram them with sorority letters or initials – or really anything you want!

What kind of headbands do you knit?  I typically use yarn. Naturally I started selling them in September when no one in St. Louis in their right mind wants warm headbands. I just had my first sale yesterday, actually!

Exciting! How long does it take you to knit one?  If I’m in the “knitting zone” and not distracted, I can crank one out in an hour. But if I have any distractions—which is always—than it takes about three hours.

Where did you learn to knit?  My third grade teacher did a lesson on Fridays where we’d spend half an hour cutting vegetables for the homeless or trying to knit for them. The majority of the knitting output was too wonky for the shelter to use, but it got me started.

Any guilty pleasures?  I binge-watch TV. The other day I was watching Mindy Project alone while knitting. It was perfect.

Sounds like it was.  Thanks Michelle!