Henry Barry ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Love a guy that’s full of surprises? How about a wakeboarding, rugby playing man with a business plan? Meet freshman Henry Barry: a charming guy who’s sure to make you smile in this season of stress. (That’s right-Olin library moles, I’m talking to you!) Perk up and read on about just how this Campus Cutie can break your studies and make your day. 

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia
Major: Dual Major in Economics and Entrepreneurship
Relationship Status: Single
Campus Involvement: Rugby Club player, Head Chef and Owner of private meatball making company in Lee dorms.
Hobbies and Interests: Playing sports- especially beach volleyball, rugby, jujitsu, and wakeboarding.
HC: Favorite childhood show or movie?
HB: Definitely Rocket Power. I became Otto; I went to skate parks and rollerskated a ton.
HC: Tell me about the Meatball business…
HB: Sure-. I was 400 points over my meal plan pretty early in the semester. I called my dad and he gave some money for food, and I thought I could use the money to buy supplies and then sell the meatballs to help make some more meal money. As of now, I eat two meals a day on campus and for the rest [of my meals] I live off of the meatball money.  Right now, I make two types: “Garlic Cheese” and “Chili.” I make the meatballs on Saturdays and then have the orders ready for the following week.
HC: What’s your clientele?
HB: Right now, I’m only selling to the guys in the Lee dorm. I actually made signs “ATTN: MALES in LEE DORM GET YOUR PROTEIN.” It’s been working out pretty well. I just haven’t been able to expand to the female clientele. I’m not sure they’d be interested (HC WashU begs to differ…) If people are interested in trying some of the meatballs, they can Facebook me.
HC: What have you thought about this semester?
HB: I really, really like WashU. I came in open-minded, but I was so surprised by how nice everyone was and how interesting [students] are. Everyone has something special about them or a hidden talent- just the other day, I found out my friend, Tim, was a three-sport athlete, won MVP honors for all of them and was involved with his high school’s math club.
 HC: What’s your ultimate way to de-stress during finals weeks?
HB: I’ve already done my schedule- wrote it out and made sure there was lots of chill time for working out, reading and going to Bear’s Den.
HC: Good place to unwind, huh?
HB: Yeah, and it’s a great place to meet people! My friends and I have a game going on of trying to meet everyone in the freshman class- there’s a whole point system.
HC: Is there a top prize?
HB: Nope, no awards- just for fun. It’s really challenging. 
HC: What’s something about the opposite sex that you just don’t understand?
HB: It’s the sunglasses, the big sunglasses.
HC: What was your about dream last night?
HB: Hmm… I know last night was weird, but I can’t remember. I have a lot of superhero dreams where I’m sort of like Spiderman and have the webthing. Then I wake up in the morning and try to do the web thing with my wrist and it fails; it’s really depressing.
HC: Sonic or Mario?
HB: Mario. He’s so much cooler and makes the best noises.
HC: Best holiday gift you’ve ever gotten?
HB: One year, I told my parents I’m sick of boring gifts. So the next year, they randomly got me a machete and crossbow.
HC: Have you ever used either of them?
HB: Actually, (laughs) this one time I was helping my dad landscaping and there was some sort of bush in the way and he said I could either dig it up or use the machete.
HC: Best gift you’ve ever given?
HB: I made a homemade card for my mom for Mothers Day. I wrote this story and drew these terrible pictures and made her breakfast in bed. Then I took her to the aquarium to see the dolphins, she loved it.

HC: Fill in the blank: I can’t wait to ______ during winter break.
HB: Hit the beach. I live in Florida now, so I’d have to say “hit the beach.” I might go wakeboarding this break with some friends.
HC: If you could have someone play you in the movie of your life, who would it be and why?
HB: Mark Wahlberg. I liked all his movies and I really like the fact that he used to rap- it takes a lot of guts to do that…  Him or Taylor Lautner because Lautner’s really athletic; he’s like a black belt and won tons of awards.
 HC: Got a favorite YouTube video for us to distract ourselves with this finals season?
HB:  Yep I remember one that blew my mind a while ago….
HC: Where do you see yourself in four years?
HB: Hopefully, closer to owning my own business. That’s what the meatballs are actually all about, gaining experience by providing a service for the guys at Lee dorm. Who knows, maybe by then I’ll expand to the females (don’t forget to send one to me-says HC WashU!).