8 Things to Do Instead of Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

If you’re anything like me, super loud music, and tightly packed spaces with thousands of people aren’t really your thing. And at no event are these things more prevalent than at St. Louis’ Mardi Gras celebration at Soulard on Saturday, February 6th. Over 250,000 people are expected to show up to the event, making it the second largest Mardi Gras celebration in the country, after New Orleans, of course. Not your scene? Searching for alternatives? Look no further. St. Louis is a city full of exciting things to do, every day of the week, and for a small price. Here is just a sample of alternative activities to Soulard’s Mardi Gras celebration:

1. Take a tour of the St. Louis Art Museum’s current exhibition of Graphic Abstraction in 1960s Design.

Visit www.slam.org/Exhibitions/blowup to see whats new at SLAM. 

2. Unleash your inner kindergartener. Climb the jungle gym of the St. Louis City Museum with a group of friends.

3. Check out the St. Louis brunch scene.

If you ask me, one can never have too many slices of avocado toast. Some of my favorite brunch spots are: The Tavern (in the Central West End), Half & Half, First Watch, and Winslow’s Home.

dcrs.com

4. Pretend to be a local and go support the St. Louis Blues in their hockey game against the Minnesota Wild at the Scottrade Center.

rantsports.com

Buy tickets here!

5. Check out the Orchid Show “Where the Wild Things Grow” at the Missouri Botanical Garden.

Missouri Botanical Gardens

6. Satisfy your sweet tooth by visiting the Maple Sugar Festival.

Missouri Department of Conservation

7. Check out the “Spies, Traitors, and Saboteurs: Fear and Freedom in America” exhibit at the Missouri History Museum.

gettyimages

8. Explore a new neighborhood in St. Louis. Suggestion: The Grove!

explorestlouis.com

Do your thing and don't care if they like it. 
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.