‘La La Land’: The feel-good movie we all needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

The award-winning Hollywood film, La La Land, has been the cause of quite a buzz in the movie industry. Directed by the incomparable Damien Chazelle, who first made a name for himself with his film Whiplash, La La Land has exploded on the movie scene turning heads with its beautiful old Hollywood aesthetics and catchy tunes. With a talented cast led by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, this film has all the ingredients necessary for a feel-good, inspirational masterpiece. Although I happen to be a lover of musicals and perhaps cliché romances, La La Land’s ability to connect with the audience and remind us about the importance and beauty of following our wildest dreams has the power to make a believer out of the most skeptical viewers. Despite La La Land’s clear success and attraction, some may still wonder if this movie really lives up to all of the hype. So, without further ado, let’s explore the strengths and even some criticisms about Hollywood’s newest blockbuster, La La Land.

If there is one thing that makes La La Land the smash hit that it is, it’s the music. The original score, written by Justin Hurwitz, will run endlessly through your head even after you leave the theater. From upbeat jazz to more classically inspired numbers, Hurwitz is able to capture each pivotal moment within the film and further pulls you into the emotional experience. While some are particularly critical of the singing ability of the two main characters played by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, it can be said that their amateur singing ability only makes the film more authentic and relatable than perhaps a Broadway musical. Regardless of Emma and Ryan’s singing voices, La La Land is largely driven by instrumental pieces and themes that, in addition to the dazzling visuals, bring meaning and depth to the film.

Photo courtesy of The New York Times

Speaking of dazzling visuals, the cinematography and art design were other major elements that absolutely blew me away and continue to leave me breathless. Reminiscent of the old Hollywood days when stars like Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart graced the silver screens, the art design, production design and cinematography pull together to create a modern take on old time Hollywood glamour. 

Set in the hectic and sometimes overwhelming city of Los Angeles, La La Land highlights the romantic elements of L.A. while also acknowledging the everyday frustrations that any L.A. native can surely relate to. When watching the film, it’s no question that the crew behind the film succeeded in creating the perfect mix between imagination and reality in order to serve up a distinct and eye-catching visual experience.  

Photo courtesy of Paste Magazine

While I believe that gorgeous visuals, music, and a beautiful storyline should be enough to satisfy audiences, some have been critical of its lack of diversity and a political message. Of course, La La Land hit theaters during a critical time in politics and American history when many looked to those with a media presence to make a statement that reflected the feelings of the people. When seeing the political statements and social messages being sent by recent films and media outlets, it’s easy to look at La La Land and see it as a superficial form of escapism. Despite such criticism, I can’t help but think that La La Land is exactly what people need during this tumultuous time. The news and other media platforms will always be there with its debates, protests and arguments in order to keep us rooted in reality but the movie industry has the freedom and ability to present people with new worlds and stories that inspire us to keep moving forward and creating things that could change the world for the better. With so much hate, anger and frustrations swirling around in the media, it can be seen that creativity and artistry are the perfect antidotes to the everything that threatens to bring us down. 

So, does La La Land have its head in the clouds? Maybe. But isn’t that what we need sometimes? A chance to look ahead and see what we can create and not what we can destroy? There’s no question that it’s important to be involved in and aware of the issues within our society, however, it’s also imperative that we don’t forget how powerful art and creativity can be when shaping the future and reminding us of who we want to be.

Thanks for reading! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.