#WFUProblems: The 3 ways to spice up your next Pit meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s that time of year again when food dollars are running low and there’s really only one place to get a meal around here—the Pit. You may have forgotten all the Pit has to offer while you’ve spent your lunches and dinners eating Freschetta burgers at Shorty’s or Old-Gold swiping a Jr. Burrito from Moe’s. Or maybe your memory is clouded with visions of the same old feta and spinach omelet you used to get every morning for breakfast…and then for lunch…and dinner at the beginning of the semester, and now you’re scared to return to your old mealtime monotony.

Fear not, for the Pit is actually full of hidden treasures. Fall in love with the Pit again with these tasty ideas about how to make something a little more creative and delicious for your everyday meals!

Breakfast: Spice up Pit oatmeal

1. Fill up your bowl with some oatmeal.
  2. Choose your toppings from the Pit’s selection of brown sugar, cinnamon, or raisins. (I like to add all three!)
  3. Grab some peach slices from the fruit station, chop them up, and mix them into your oatmeal.
  4. Get some honey from the dessert station and drizzle a little on top.
  5. Mix up your now delicious oatmeal and enjoy!

[pagebreak] 

Dinner: Make a Quesadilla any day of the week

1. Get a tortilla of your choosing from the sandwich station.
  2. Grab some shredded cheddar cheese from the salad bar. (Or any other cheeses at the sandwich or omelet station)
  3. Fill your quesadilla with some rice from the vegetarian station.
  4. Order freshly cooked vegetables and beans from the pasta station.
  5. Go to the grill, ask for a grilled chicken breast, and then chop up the chicken.
  6. Place your tortilla with all the ingredients on to the Panini maker next to the sandwich station and cook your quesadilla until the cheese is melted.
  7. Finally, grab some sour cream and salsa from the omelet station, and enjoy your creative and delicious dinner!

Dessert: Coffee Ice Cream à la Pit

1. Fill up a bowl with vanilla soft serve ice cream. (Or frozen yogurt if you’re trying to stay healthy)
  2. Pour some of the Pit’s Starbucks coffee over your ice cream.
  3. Finally, grab a cookie (usually there’s peanut butter, chocolate chip, or sugar cookies) from the dessert station and delight in your new dessert creation! 

If you’re like me and want to know what’s available in the Pit before you swipe in, check out campusdish.com for a detailed food listing. You can also check out all the health facts about every food item served in the Pit! In your final weeks of school, savor your last few meals at the Pit. With such wide variety of options, you are sure to find some hidden treasures.

*Article by Anna Morten

*Photography by Charlotte Bedick 

A Communications major and Journalism minor from New Jersey, Ellie has been writing for HerCampus for almost 3 years now. Known for her sassy personality and sunny outlook on life, Ellie prides herself on her confidence and composure- especially when it comes to how she writes! Ellie is the oldest of four girls, and in her free time loves a good book, the beach, and coffee of any variety. An active writer and blogger, Ellie is so pleased to have taken over the role of Editorial Campus Correspondent for HC-WakeForest, and looks forward to another year of lots of HCLove.