Sydney Rivers: Running for a Cure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

How many 19 year olds can say that they have completed the New York City Marathon and raised $4,500 for cancer research? Well, on Sunday, November 2nd, sophomore Sydney Rivers did just that.

Rivers started her running career three years ago after living in Italy and eating more pizza and pasta than she ever could have imagined. Rivers took up running as a way to clear her head and explore the city of Viterbo.

Rivers trained for the 26 mile run not only because she is passionate about the sport, but because she also aimed to raise money for cancer research. Rivers joined Fred’s Team, which is part of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s athletic fundraising program. With the slogan, “Imagine a World without Cancer,” Fred’s Team has raised over $56 million since 1995. Rivers alone raised $4,500 for the cause!  

Rivers found the decision to run the marathon an easy one. “I know I am never going to discover a cure for cancer in the biology lab. But, I can run. Why not use this to try to make a difference,” Rivers explains.

People who donated to her fund had the opportunity to write the names of loved ones on her uniform. The money Rivers has raised will go directly to breast cancer research, but she also ran for certain people she wishes to honor. River’s own father, a survivor of prostate cancer, is among these individuals.  

In addition to running, Rivers is an active member of Greek life and she balances a heavy course load as a hopeful Business and Computer Science double major. Her schedule can make it difficult for her to find the time to fit in long distance runs. Friend Emily Upson says, “Our friends are so proud of Syd and the time and effort she has put into training.” 

Rivers completed the NYC marathon in 4:09:56. When asked if she would consider running the marathon again, she replied “Ask me tomorrow when I can feel my legs.”

Congratulations, Sydney! We are so proud of you!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.