Her Impact: Be Green While Moving Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

If you’ve been following my blog, you have already gotten all sorts of ideas how to stay green during the semester. But now the time has come to say goodbye and head home. So, here are some ways you can keep up your sustainable outlook while wrapping up the semester!

1. Recycle you binders and schoolwork! Instead of trashing everything, be sure to toss all your papers and stuff from the semester in the recycling bin.

2. If you wash everything before you leave like I do, wash your clothes with cold water and use concentrated detergent, it lasts longer!

[pagebreak]

3. Leave things here. You really don’t need to take a lot of shelves and decorations and things that you have here home, try to find a friend with a basement to store them in for the summer! The lighter load in your car will give you better gas mileage, too.

4. While you’re packing up anyway, sort through your clothes and get rid of everything you don’t need! Donate to Goodwill or let your friends go shopping (they’ll love you forever, and that way you can always borrow back at a later date).

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.