Chester Bedell (’15) and Aspen Kissell (’15)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Chester Bedell

Hometown: Tampa, Fla.

Major: Major in Mathematical Business

Year: Senior

Name: Aspen Kissell

Hometown: Biscoe, N.C.

Major/Minor(s): Major in Psychology with double minor in Religion and Sociology

Year: Senior

This week’s Campus Cuties have already won our hearts.  Aside from giving great advice for you, FRESHMEN, they are this year’s Homecoming KING and QUEEN

Get to know Chester Bedell and Aspen Kissell!

HC (Her Campus): Congrats on Homecoming King and Queen!  Were you expecting to win?

Chester (Chester Bedell): It was a little bit of a surprise.  A lot of friends had told me they voted for me, but I knew I had some pretty good competition.  I wasn’t too confident, but I thought there was a chance.

Aspen (Aspen Kissell): No, not at all.  Brad, who was my escort, kind of had to push me out there because I was in the zone and hadn’t expected it.

HC: So were either of you Prom King or Queen in high school?

Aspen: I was Prom Queen in high school.

Chester: My school actually didn’t have a Homecoming or Prom Court.  We had homecoming and we had prom, but there was never anything like that.

HC: So now that you guys are Homecoming King and Queen, what else is on your bucket list before you graduate this year?

Chester: I’ve never been to the Dixie Classic Fair, so that’s something I have to do.  There’s a lot in Winston-Salem that you don’t really think about until you get older … so maybe get to know the city a little bit better. 

Aspen: Definitely on my bucket list is to go on the bell tower [of Wait Chapel] because I’ve never done that.  I’ve been jealous that my student advisees got to do that and I haven’t done that yet.

HC: Do you know yet what you’ll be doing after graduation?

Aspen: Currently, I’m applying to graduate school.  I want to get my master’s in public administration.

Chester: I could be interested in working as a fellow here at Wake Forest through the President’s Office.  I know there are definitely a couple of job offers I could be interested in.  I like data analytics and healthcare so maybe healthcare consulting with data analytics.

HC: So what else are you involved with on campus?

Chester: I’m one of the co-chairs of the Traditions Council.  I was an RA last year.  I’m a co-chair for the 1834 Campaign.  I’m one of the members of the Student Government Cabinet – this is my second year doing that.  I’m pretty involved in RUF.  I go to pretty much every football and basketball game.  I worked with Hydrating Humanity.

Aspen: I’m a Public Engagement Fellow, I’m a student advisor, I’m a Global Abroad Ambassador, and Chi Omega’s co-recruitment chair.

HC: Wow, sounds like you guys have been busy! What are your favorite things to do in your free time?

Aspen: I really, really like to read for fun.  I also like to exercise.  I like to go for runs.  And just spend time with my friends.

Chester: Free time is sometimes hard to come by.  I like sitting on the Mag patio, playing golf, watching football.  I got my tennis racket back up here, so maybe I’ll play tennis sometime soon. 

HC: Other than your friends, what will you miss most about Wake?

Aspen: My professors.  I just feel like there’s something special about Wake professors.  You can actually have a relationship with them and there’s just something special about that.

Chester: That’s a question I don’t want to think about for a few months.  I just love being able to learn about different topics, different studies.  There’s no way you can replace four years of college.  There’s no other time like that in your life. 

Photo by Dean Shore.

HC: So thinking back to your freshman year, what would your freshman-self say if he/she knew you would be Homecoming King/Queen?

Aspen: I guess, “I’m proud of you.”  I’d be proud that I put myself out there because I’m actually really shy.  So to put myself out there and get to know a variety of different people in different places – freshman-Aspen would be surprised, very surprised.  Senior-Aspen was surprised, so freshman-Aspen would be even more surprised (laughs).

Chester: Well my freshman-self probably would have been surprised that I left our freshman hall.  We were a pretty tight group of guys, so we hung out together a lot.  I try to be kind of low-key – I don’t like attracting a whole lot of attention to myself.  Homecoming King is pretty much the opposite of that.  My freshman-self would probably be surprised and pretty honored.  I usually think of the Homecoming King as real suave and really popular. 

HC:  Well I guess you are popular!

Chester: (Laughing) I don’t think of myself that way but I guess other people must.

HC: So we’re pretty much at the one month mark for the school year – any advice for the freshmen still trying to find their way?

Chester:  Don’t be afraid to try something new.

Aspen: Still just give it time.  One month seems like an eternity, but it’s really just like turning one page.  I don’t think I felt like I found my place until the middle of sophomore year at Wake.  So just don’t lose hope if things aren’t exactly right, right now.

HC: Good advice!  So let’s get to know you more outside of just Wake Forest.  How would you describe yourself in three words?

Chester: Patriotic, a friend, and loyal.

Aspen: Passionate, silly, and loyal.

HC: And if you were a Disney character, who would you be?

Aspen: Rapunzel – the girl from Tangled.  Literally, I got picked on all through high school because they said I looked like her.  I don’t know why – I guess I had longer hair.  And she’s silly.

Chester: I could maybe be Woody.  A friend of mine had a Make-A-Wish event where she had Make-A-Wish kids over to her house, and the party was Disney themed.  She had us play a bunch of Disney characters and I was Woody.

HC: Do you have a celebrity crush?

Chester: Not really.  I’m not into following celebrities too much.  I’ve always thought Sandra Bullock was pretty cool.

Aspen: I am not really big into celebrities, but if I had to choose, probably Ryan Gosling.  I mean, what girl doesn’t want the guy from The Notebook?  If I’m a bird, he’s a bird.  That’s true love (laughs). 

Photo by Raquel Broehm.

HC: Greatest irrational fear?

Aspen: Public speaking.  I hate public speaking.

Chester: Probably being stung by a bee, even though I’m not allergic. 

HC: Describe your dream vacation.

Chester: I’ve never been skiing.  I like going to the mountains.  I could go for a Mediterranean-Greece cruise.  I could also go for rocky mountain skiing, or seeing wildlife or monuments all over the world.  Australia is pretty cool.  I’ve always wanted to go to Australia but it’s super expensive.

Aspen: I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia; after a semester abroad in Europe, I am ready to hold a koala.

HC: This or that – chocolate or vanilla?

Aspen: Chocolate.

Chester: If it’s ice cream, probably vanilla.  But if it’s a milkshake – chocolate.

HC: Party in Hollywood with your favorite celeb, or explore beautiful Scotland?

Aspen: Explore beautiful Scotland.

Chester: Yeah, I’m totally going to Scotland, being a bagpiper and having Scottish family.

HC: Chester, you’re a bagpiper?!

Chester: I started when I was 13.  I started playing because my high school had a band, and I got tired of playing the trumpet.  It’s been a fun hobby ever since then.  I’ve been asked to play for a lot of memorial services and weddings.  I get a ton of friends who want me to play at birthday parties. 

HC: Very cool!  So would you rather be able to fly, or have an amazing singing voice like Whitney Houston?

Aspen: Flying, because I love to travel.  Avoiding airports would be amazing.

Chester: I’d probably rather be able to sing really well.  I like music so much – it’d be great to sing along to whatever I wanted.

HC: And finally, is there anything you’d like to tell the world?

Chester: Leave no stone unturned – it’s a phrase I like to use.  Make sure you always look at all the options you got on the table.  And whatever it is you’re doing, do something you love. 

Aspen: Hard work always pays off.  As long as you are working hard and giving your all, everything will work out.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus