andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

And Just Like That Abroad Is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

About four months ago my study abroad journey started, but in exactly one week all of this will end. As much as I have loved being in Salamanca, I must say that I’m very excited to go back home and see my family and friends. Here are some 5 the best parts of my abroad experience in Spain!

Getting to sit pretty much front row at a Real Madrid game!

This was one of the most amazing experiences ever. I never imagined to go to the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium to watch a soccer game, let alone sit in amazing seats. You could feel the love for soccer and the love for Real Madrid. 

The different cities that I visited in Spain

The most amazing part of the Salamanca study abroad program is that you basically have three weeks of traveling through Spain. We visited so many cites that I’ve been told that we’ve seen more of Spain than any Spaniard. I think the best part is being able to visit many different monuments, cities, and museums. The only tiring part was getting up early, having a packed day, and hearing “Hola chicos” a billion times to wake us up from our naps on the bus was not the best part, but who looks at the negative parts right?

Toledo

Beach in Cádiz

Views from Sevilla

My host family

Living with a family that isn’t yours is kind of hard at first. You don’t know what to expect or what type of rules they’ll have for you. I got incredibly lucky, and my host family was super cool. Many of my friends said that they were the perfect family for me. Shout out to my host mom who made sure that I was having a great time and for encouraging me to experience new things. Also, shout out to her daughters because they were the coolest people ever, and I learned a lot from them and made me feel like I was part of their family.

Getting to know my Wake Forest friends

In my study abroad group I knew two people when the program started and everyone else I had either heard of or didn’t know them at all. I can say that I have bonded with so many people, and I’m super glad that I got to know them. I know that once we get back to Wake I want to hang out with these people because they honestly made this semester so much better! This group was honestly the best group of people ever. There was a total of 23 of us so imagine the big squad that would show up at restaurants for group meals or museums for a guided tour. They are honestly the best group of people I’ve met. 

Photos courtesy of Miriam Gutierrez

Kiya Khalil​

http://www.gettysburg.edu/dotAsset/633f870c-fb0f-4d87-ad7d-80275b0e39f7.jpg

I'm a junior here at Wake Forest double majoring in Spanish and Sociology! You can follow me on Instagram @miriz27 to see my adventures while I'm abroad! 
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest