6 Mistakes You’re Making While Doing Your Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Makeup, in its truest essence, is meant to help collegiettes look fabulous. Yet without proper application knowledge, your makeup might leave you looking…not so fab. Well, let me rephrase that. If you don’t apply your makeup properly, looking streaky, shiny, overdone or washed out are all very real possibilities. Avoid these 6 makeup pitfalls.

1. H2O-No-Go

One of the most common mistakes collegiettes make while gettin’ dolled up is forgetting to put on moisturizer first. It is essential that you hydrate your face by moisturizing before applying any sort of concealer or foundation. It doesn’t matter if your skin is naturally oily – moisturizer is meant for every skin type. Use an oil-free cream, dot it across your T-zone, pat gently and then let it soak into your skin for about 3 minutes (NOTE: This step is important! If the moisturizer isn’t dry, your face and eye makeup will slip right off). If you don’t moisturize your skin, it’ll produce oil to keep hydrated. Read: Hello, acne! Don’t skip this important step.

2. Didn’t Prime in Time

Now that you’ve let your moisturizer dry, don’t forget to use primer before putting on actual makeup! Many women assume makeup primer is heavy-duty stuff – for runway models only – but that’s the furthest from the truth! Us collegiettes work long days, and sometimes, our makeup can’t keep up. A cosmetic primer helps lengthen the amount of time your makeup lasts on your face – not to mention, it improves coverage by creating a smooth and seemingly pore-less canvas. My favorite primer is the MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Microperfecting Primer. It’s definitely worth the investment. This one comes in an array of colors (I opt for the 5 Blue, which adds radiance), but most primers are clear. Rub a dime sized amount on your T-zone (pay special attention to your nose, too!) and let it do its magic. 

3. Eyes Wide Shut

You’re doing yourself an injustice if you don’t own and use an eyelash curler. I mean, these before and after pictures speak for themselves. The important thing to remember is that you’re curling your top lashes only. Open the curler and place your upper lashes inside the mouth – try to get as close to your eyelid as possible – and then clamp down. Keep the curler closed for about ten seconds, then let go and give the handle 5 quick “pumps.”  The pumps help seal the curl. Next, add mascara (don’t put it on before or else your lashes will stick to the curler). I use an affordable Revlon Eyelash Curler from CVS, and it does the job just fine.

4. Powder Puff-ing

Most of us use some sort of powder in our makeup routine. You should never apply powder with a makeup puff or sponge. Patting powder on your skin results in a cakey, washed-out finish. Rather, you should apply powder products with a brush. Kabuki brushes are really the best for this. When powder is swirled on with a plush brush, it creates an airbrushed look that settles easily into foundation. Dot the powder on your face gently with the Kabuki brush and then sweep it in circular motions. Sephora has colorful, portable Kabuki brushes for only $18.

5. Staying on the Darkside

Most of us are guilty of putting on makeup in a darker-than-ideal setting. If you don’t do your makeup in bright light, preferably by a window, you’ll overestimate exactly how much you’re putting on. Collegiettes spend most of the day out in the open air or under the fluorescent classroom lights, so we have to tailor our makeup to such settings. Always do your makeup with as many lights on as possible. It’s even helpful to have a mirror with lights built in. My roommate has the Conair Illumina Collection Makeup Mirror and uses it every morning. That way if I’m asleep, she can still apply her makeup in accurate light. You can pick one up on Target.com for less than $29.

6. Just (Eye) Brows-ing

The truth is, even though they contribute greatly to a polished, pretty look, we often exclude our eyebrows from beauty routines. After you’ve applied your initial makeup, it’s time to give your eyebrows some attention. A simple spiral wand eyebrow brush can be used to comb your eyebrows into a neat and flattering shape. I use this Revlon Brow Set Brush and Trimmer from CVS. You can use the scissor included to snip unruly hairs. BONUS: Daily combing also helps hairs grow back in the proper direction.

Have fun beautifying, collegiettes! 

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.