Why I Joined Her Campus: Jessica’s Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Writing came to me with a soft hum. That hum turned into a drumming in my heart that bounced my chest up and down. When I was five, I would tell my Dad stories. He would write them down and I would illustrate them. When I was eleven, my English teacher would give us prompts. My mind would run free on the paper, creativity circulating through my veins. When I was sixteen, I began to take this whole “writing thing” seriously. From poetry to television show arcs, my mind and fingers have not stopped.

I first toured colleges with tentative plans to become a teacher. Then I moved to whatever caught my eye that week, from nursing (which would have never worked out, I HATE needles) to environmental lawyer (shoutout to Marshall from HIMYM and AP Environmental Science).

Finally, I opened my eyes to what was in front of me the whole time. The thing I ran to when I was stressed. The class I had adored my whole life. The time I felt most at home. I toured Virginia Tech for the second time in the fall of senior year, deciding to pursue a B.A in English with a Major in Creative Writing. My heart was set.

Immediately after I was accepted to VT, I went on a follow button frenzy. Once the flurry of excitement quieted, I actually looked at all the Tech related accounts I had followed. Her Campus Virginia Tech was right at the top of the list. Over the next few months, their posts filtered through my feed. I identified with the posts and the message of Her Campus. Browsing the content on the site, I felt that Her Campus would be the best home for me to grow as a writer. Before I even stepped onto campus as a student, Her Campus was helping me become a strong college woman, a collegiette.

When Gobblerfest finally rolled around, I pushed my way through the crowd to get to the Her Campus booth. I signed up and got started on my application. Waiting to hear back was BRUTAL. This was my first real time being looked at in an application process, and I was terrified that my writing wouldn’t rise to the occasion. I was walking back from barre class when I got the news, the smile couldn’t be wiped off my face.

So that is the story of how I ended up writing this article! I am thrilled to be a part of the Her Campus team and cannot wait to share the stories of VT with y’all!

Image Sources:

All images from Jessica Mardian, except 1 (From Pexels.com)

All Gifs from Giphy.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.