Why I Can’t Wait to go Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As an out-of-state student, I deliberately chose to be far away from home. However, at the end of the day, that decision does not make homesickness any less grueling. It is halfway through the semester and I have not seen my family in almost three months. Even for students living as close as 45 minutes away from home, most students find difficulty developing a lifestyle without the backbone of their parents. School may be all fun and games, but at the end of the day, it is hard not to miss the comfort that comes with being at home. With the holidays approaching, I cannot wait to be reunited with the love and support of my family and hometown friends. Here’s a few of the things I miss the most.  

Home cooked meals

Naturally, food plays a very large role in my everyday routine. While Virginia Tech does have amazing campus dining, I cannot help but miss the food my mom and grandma prepare in our kitchen at home. I constantly find myself craving the meals I grew up eating and cooking. Imagine the euphoria of sitting down at the table with your favorite meal fresh out of the oven, perfectly portioned to your level of hunger, and prepared for the whole family to share.  Better yet, imagine not having guilt wash over you after swiping your card and seeing how few dining dollars you have left. Free food is a magical gift.

Sleeping in My Own Bed

I think this one pretty much speaks for itself. Call me a diva, but twin beds with questionably stuffed mattresses are not my ideal comfort preference. Curse the countless nights spent sweating in an un-airconditioned dorm room and the PTSD of tumbling off of a lifted twin XL.

Having a Car

Before leaving for school, I never really grasped what it would feel like having to walk everywhere. I will tell you what it feels like: sore calves, sweating in class, and reaching your 12k step goal before noon. At this point, I haven’t driven a car in over two months. I cannot wait to sit in the driver’s seat, feel the engine purr beneath me, and just experience the comforting bliss of being behind the wheel.

Hanging Out with Friends

In early August my friends and I split off on our own paths. Not seeing my best friends everyday has been one of the hardest adjustments I have made at school. While we have all set out to pave our own paths, I cannot help but miss the amazing memories we left behind. Like I said before, choosing to go out of state was the best decision I have ever made. However, when my friends visit home and see each other so frequently, the fomo is extremely real. My anticipation to be reunited with my hometown besties spreads like a vicious case of poison ivy each and every day.

A Break from Schoolwork

Does this even require an explanation?

Being Surrounded by Love and Support

Much like my friends, I miss my family immensely. I still remember how upset I was when my older brother left for school. The house felt empty, everything seemed quieter, and the idea of things changing terrified me. Now that I am gone too, it is hard to imagine what the house is even like without two of four kids. I miss waking up and having a cup of tea with my mom before school. I miss having someone to bicker with when I am in a pissy mood. Most importantly, I miss cuddling with my dog at the end of a tiresome day. I am so excited to be enveloped by the comfort and undying love of my family once again.

Because of all this, college brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “you don’t know what you got, ‘til it’s gone.”

Image sources: Courtesy of Pexels.com

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!