This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ah, winter- the time to build snowmen, drink hot chocolate in front of the fire and show the world your layering fashion skills. But it’s also the time of dry skin and brittle hair. Skin so dry that it you can feel it cracking every time you move and hair so brittle it could break off at any moment.

No one wants it, but it’s inevitable. And while lotion may put a temporary end to it, there’s a better remedy–oil! Follow our oil winter routine and say good-bye to that dry skin and hair. 

Step 1: Gather ingredients 

You’ll need the following:

• 100% pure castor oil
  • Organic coconut oil
  • Essential oil of your choice
  • Hot water

Step 2: Heat the castor oil by placing it in the hot water

Should be warm but not so hot that it burns.

Step 3: Apply the castor oil to dry areas and all over the hair

Everyone has been going crazy over coconut oil in the last few years but not many people know about a better oil, castor oil. It penetrates the skin and hair and provides maximum and long lasting moisture. 

Step 4: Let it settle for 1 hour

Put a shower cap over your hair to keep the heat in for maximum penetration.

Step 5: Wash it all off

Take a shower and shampoo and conditioner your hair, be sure to get all the oil off.

Step 6: Prepare the coconut oil

Heat it up in the hot water until it is in liquid form then add a few drops of your essential oil to give it a nice smell

Step 7: Apply the coconut oil to skin and hair 

Put it on just as you would lotion. If your hair is fine, I would not recommend adding the coconut oil to your hair.

Step 8: Sleep it off

Let all the oil settle into your skin and hair overnight

Step 9: SLAY

When you wake up your skin will be soft as a baby’s bottom and your hair will have a gorgeous shine.

1/2/3/4/5/6

Sara is a Junior at VT studying Multimedia Journalism and Africana Studies. Way to her heart: Taco Bell, makeup, shopping. In that order.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!