How to Avoid the Freshman 15 (It’s Possible, I Promise)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

I have heard it said by many people that the  “Freshman 15” is unavoidable. I completely disagree with this statement, though as a sophomore I had my own experience with the Freshman 15. After arriving at Villanova last year, I was overwhelmed by all of the dining options. I desperately tried to eat as healthy as I could the first few weeks, but sadly I got lazy and opted for pizza and wraps instead of grilled chicken and salads. I did gain the dreaded Freshman 15 and was absolutely mortified when I returned home, where I learned that losing weight is much harder than putting it on. After a summer of hardcore dieting and working out, I am finally back to my pre-college weight. Starting my sophomore year, I was definitely more aware of the dangers of dining-hall food and was determined not to put the weight back on. We have been at school a month now, and get this… I’ve actually managed to lose weight! IT’S POSSIBLE! Even if you do not want to lose weight, it is possible to avoid the horrible plague of the Freshman 15. I’m going to tell you how to do it with a few easy tips.

1. Be conscious of what you’re eating

This honestly helps a lot. If you take a minute to actually think about what you’re eating instead of just subconsciously doing it, you will make healthier choices. When you are starving, count to thirty and think about your choice instead of just grabbing a bunch of food and rapidly eating without paying attention to your hunger. Also, try to not stay at the dining-hall for too long; you will find yourself going to get food multiple times just because you are there.

1. Try and limit bread intake.

I know it sounds crazy, but limiting bread will help you avoid putting on pounds. Last year I thought eating wraps was so healthy; sometimes I would even eat two wraps a day…HORRIBLE IDEA, MELANIE. Carbs provide short-term energy, but because your body metabolizes them so quickly, they will actually end up making you hungrier later in the day. Now I limit how much bread I eat, usually to about twice a week. I know that sounds crazy, and you don’t have to follow that strict of a regiment, but just don’t eat three wraps a day and a heaping bowl of pasta. You’ll regret it later.

1. Villanova offers ALL nutritional facts online!

-My friend just showed me this last week. Just go to http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/services/dining/menus.html and select your dining hall, then select the meal you are going to be eating. The menu for all dining halls is online, along with ALL of the nutritional facts! This might make you opt for the grilled chicken instead of the fried.

1. You don’t have to be a gym rat to go to the gym!

I ran track and cross country all throughout high school so I never really had to be concerned about what I was eating. Since I am not on a Villanova sports team, I learned to utilize the gyms on campus. Whether it’s Stanford, Davis, or Farley, going to the gym is important. You don’t have to go every single day, but a few days a week will help you avoid weight gain and the stress of schoolwork. Think you have too much homework to go? Bring it with you! I go to the gym all the time with my books and read while I bike, run, or use the elliptical. There are awesome fitness classes offered at Villanova as well.

1. It’s okay to splurge!

Sticking to a strict diet seven days a week would be absolutely miserable. I am very conscious of what I eat, but I allow myself to cheat once or twice a week. It isn’t good to eat chicken fingers and fries every day, but if you’re craving them, eat them! You have to splurge sometimes.

1. Don’t let dieting ruin your college experience.

It’s important to remember that overexercising and food restriction can be just as unhealthy as weight gain. There is a difference between making smart choices and letting yourself become a slave to calorie counting. If at any point in your college career you feel as if food is controlling your life, don’t be afraid to go to the counseling center for help.

Basically, it is possible to eat healthy while on campus. All you have to do is be aware of what you’re eating and opt for the healthier choices instead of chicken fingers and fries every day. Try something new! You may be surprised by what you may like. If you incorporate healthy eating and exercise (with occasional splurging), the Freshman 15 is easily avoidable!

Samantha Galasso is from Wilton, CT and is the founder of both the Providence College and Villanova University chapters at HC. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, sarcastic commentary, inappropriate jokes, hanging out with her fellow Pi Phi sisters, "Friends" marathons, and general activities being ”liked” by the mass majority of people on Facebook. Her goals in life include writing the next great American novel and making the Billionaire Obituary in Forbes.