Campus Cutie: John Catalano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Name: John Catalano 
Year: 2014
Hometown: Manalapan, NJ
Major: Finance & Accounting. Polisci minor.
Relationship status: Single

What’s your ideal girl like?
The number one thing I want her to have is a passion for something. Any passion, I don’t care if it’s stitching. I want her to love something because when people love something, you can see the sparkle in their eye and you can tell what they’re like. I think people can get a lot out of what other people’s interests are.

I also want us to be able to lean on each other emotionally. Not in the needy kind of way obviously, because that’s annoying. But I want to be able to trust her with everything, and I want to be that person for her. It’d be great if she fit in with my friends too – I’m an only child and I don’t have a big family, so my friends have become my family. I want them to be able to like her as much as I do.

Lastly, I think it would be great if she doesn’t mind being silly or out of the ordinary. When a girl can laugh at herself and not care about what other people think about her too much, it’s really attractive.

What are you passionate about?
I’m really into music; I love to play guitar. I don’t want to make it into a career or anything, and I don’t do it to impress anyone but it’s just very therapeutic and good for my overall mental health.

What do you like about a girl physically?
I’m about 5’8” so I automatically go for shorter girls. I really like a girl who takes care of herself but doesn’t try too hard with excessive makeup or the trendiest clothes all the time. Someone classy and cute, not “hot.”

Honestly, it’s less about the features and more about what reflects her personality. I think a lot of what makes a girl cute is that she’s humble and doesn’t take herself seriously. You can sense that kind of thing physically.

What’s your idea of a perfect first date?
I’d rather do something off the beaten path like maybe go to the zoo or take a walk or go on some kind of adventure…do something where we can laugh and have fun. I think going to a restaurant would be kind of intimidating to be honest, and it’s really overdone. I don’t want us to be constantly aware we’re on a date; I’d rather just have fun and embrace our friendship because I think friendship is the basis for a relationship. I don’t even need a kiss on the first date, I just want to go somewhere where we can spend time together joking around and having fun, and I’ll be thinking, “wow I’m having so many laughs right now and I wouldn’t want to spend the day with anyone else.” That would be a perfect first date.

What are your turn offs and turn ons?
Intelligence is a big turn on. If I can have a good conversation with her and she knows what’s going on in the world, that’s a big plus. I guess a turn off would be someone who cares too much about what other people think. I used to be that guy, and it’s definitely not a way to live.

What Pixar movie are you most like and why?
Probably Up. I’m a lot like Carl because sometimes I get grouchy and bogged down with stuff that doesn’t matter and I can admittedly focus on the wrong things, but my friends help me let loose just like the kid does.

What’s the most ridiculous piece of advice ever given to girls that they should just never follow?
Anything in Cosmo.

What is your favorite…
Thing about Villanova: I really like the service aspect. I came into Villanova thinking that I wanted to be an investment banker and when I leave I think I’m going to try to work for a non-profit or something like that because I want to be able to go into a business that will serve a social purpose and help achieve social gains. I think Villanova really focuses on self-development more than other universities. I just want to be a good, well-rounded person–I don’t need to be a superstar or anything, but if I can come out of college as a good person then I know I did something right. And I think Villanova is helping me get there. 

Movie: Independence Day.

Color: Blue

Youtube dance sensation: Gangnam Style

Flavor of pie: At home I like to make chocolate pudding pie. It’s not typical but it’s my favorite.

Meal: Steak and potatoes. 

Song to sing in the shower: “Let it Be”

Samantha Galasso is from Wilton, CT and is the founder of both the Providence College and Villanova University chapters at HC. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, sarcastic commentary, inappropriate jokes, hanging out with her fellow Pi Phi sisters, "Friends" marathons, and general activities being ”liked” by the mass majority of people on Facebook. Her goals in life include writing the next great American novel and making the Billionaire Obituary in Forbes.