Why You Should Keep a Journal this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Spring has sprung and some of us are looking for new habits to adopt or old ones to get back into. While going to the gym, library and shopping mall are great, don’t overlook the value of a good old fashioned diary! There are numerous benefits to keeping record of your daily thoughts and stories.

1. It can help you collect your thoughts.

Have you ever had a long talk with a friend or family member and felt better just because you were voicing your thoughts and learning about yourself? Keeping your own personal journal can be just as beneficial, but in this case it’s for you and by you! Self-reflection is very important, and keeping a journal to record your thought patterns is very therapeutic and a good way to get to know yourself.

2. You’ll practice your writing skills.

Being good at written communication is one of the most important skills you’ll find in any field. Keeping a journal, even if you’re just letting your mind wander freely and not following a specific prompt, counts as practicing those skills. If you write just a little bit every day, you’ll certainly find yourself improving.

3. It’s relaxing.

Writing can be a form of meditation. If you write poems and stories or are just getting out thoughts inside your head, you may find that writing is a great way to unwind at the end of the day. Your brain needs a transition before falling asleep, and writing is a good way to clear your mind. Instead of opting for playing on your phone or watching TV before bed, try picking up a pen and paper. It’s a lot easier on the eyes! You can also find it to be a good activity if you ever get too stressed or angry and need a break to relax.

4. Get creative!

Writing doesn’t have to just be feelings in a diary; you can get creative with your work. If you’re not a writer already, you might find you have a knack for it! You could discover your hidden love for poetry, short stories or informative articles. Experiment a little and find your style or favorite things to write about. Remember journaling should be fun so make it however you like!

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!