Why Voting for Hillary is Not the Lesser of Two Evils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The opinions expressed in this article reflect those of the writer and not those of Her Campus or Her Campus at VCU as a whole.

Most millennials and friends I have spoken to regarding their political preferences are voting for Hillary Clinton. They have a variety of reasons for doing so; some fully support the Democratic nominee, some are doing so because Bernie endorsed her, but an overwhelming number of people are voting for Hillary simply because she is not Donald Trump. I have heard many people say that they’re “throwing their vote” at her just so the Donald won’t win, and many have expressed that she is the lesser of two evils.

I think that this statement is bull.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is, in no way, shape or form, comparable to Donald J Trump. She is a seasoned politician who was Secretary of State for four years, was the FLOTUS and has more background in politics than Trump can even hope to have if, God forbid, he is elected. She is not “the lesser of two evils,” as I do not think this is a particularly “evil” candidate. As a Democrat, I would wholeheartedly support Clinton were she running against a seasoned politician. I’m tired of hearing Clinton get put down and compared to Trump when I don’t think, even at the height of her email or Benghazi scandals, she was as terrible as the Republican nominee.

In my opinion, Donald Trump is the worst. I thought this long before his disastrous debate performance and before his less than tasteful thoughts about immigrants/POC and women were expressed to the mainstream media. His recent comments about women, though, have lead me to believe even more strongly that he is absolutely unfit to lead this country. I believe that HRC is the obvious choice. Comparing Clinton to Trump and saying that “she’s the lesser of two evils” is dragging her down to his level, when she has never done anything remotely close to what he has done. She has made some mistakes in her past, that I can say without hesitation. But every politician has, and none ever to the degree of Trump. Had any other candidiate, including Clinton, been caught saying that the only way to seduce a woman is to “grab ’em by the p***y,” they would have immediately resigned from the election in disgrace — for any self-respecting person knows that women make up 51 percent of the electorate, and none of them enjoy comments made by a creepy then 59-year-old man about “moving on them like a b*tch.” 

Comparing Clinton to Trump is like comparing a fish to a pumpkin (heh, get it, because he’s orange?). It is wholly unfair to the past 38 years of service HRC has given to this country and the rights she has worked her entire life to both earn and defend. Saying that voting for Clinton is “the lesser of two evils” is unfairly saying that Clinton is, in some way, comparable to Trump. She absolutely is not. She is an advocate for women, POC and America in general. Trump is a racist, bigoted bully who cannot even hold onto the support from the GOP. They’re not comparable in any way, so please stop saying that they are.

Don’t forget to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 8 — it’s more important now than it ever was.

Sources: cover photo, 1, 2, 3

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!