Top 10 Things To Do When You’re Home for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Exam week is over, you’re finished with classes and you’re all packed up to move back home for the summer…now what? You’re ready for a well-deserved break! Her Campus VCU has compiled a list of 10 things you could be doing to make the most of this summer!  

1. Get a job/internship

You’re free pretty much all week, why not get a job and save up before you head back to school in the fall? It definitely helps that it’s much easier for college students to get a job since a lot of high schools haven’t yet let out for the summer. That, and businesses are more likely to hire a mature college student like yourself than a high schooler. If not a job, get an internship! It’s a great way to build your resume and gain experience in the major you’re pursuing. 

2. Hang out with high school friends

You and your closest friends from high school all went to different colleges, now’s your chance to catch up! It’s great meeting up with old friends and reminiscing about the past as well as exchanging stories from your own college experiences. You can all bond over your first college party, the sorority you joined, living the dorm life, etc.! Summer is the best time to rekindle old friendships.

3. Take a summer class

You do have a lot of free time on your hands, why not get ahead and take a summer class online or at your local community college to relieve your class load for next school year? It can be a lot cheaper too! You’ll still have plenty of time to enjoy your summer. Maybe you’ll even make a new friend to hangout with during the break.

4. Travel

Go on vacation to somewhere you’ve always wanted to go! Whether it’s a mini road trip with your besties or a study abroad program to a foreign country, satisfy your wanderlust this summer!

5. Learn a new skill

Learn how to play an instrument, learn how to cook before you move into your apartment, learn a new language. Build your skill sets over the summer to make an even better you before heading back to college. Just because you’re home from college doesn’t mean you have to stop learning.

6. Play catch up

You finally have time to read that book you’ve wanted to read all school year and that Netflix show you still haven’t finished! Heck, you even have time to read a second, third, maybe a fourth book and the whole next season of that show!

7. Go to events

Summer break is full of festivals, concerts and carnivals. If you’re staying in Richmond for the summer, check out RVA News to find daily events going on in the area!

8. Try something you’ve never done before

Go camping for the first time or overcome your fear of rollercoasters. You’re stress-free and have nothing to worry about. Summer break is the best time to try new things, especially since you have about three months of free time.

9. Throw a party

How fun would it be to bring together new college friends and old high school friends, and throw a BBQ/pool party or have a bonfire? Enjoy a beautiful summer night with good company, good food and overall good vibes. With Memorial Day, Fourth of July, graduations, there are plenty of reasons to celebrate!

10. Go to the beach or an amusement park

It’s summertime; it’s hot outside; why not spend the day in the water? Of course, not everyone is close to the beach, but making a day trip to one with your best friends is an adventure all in itself! How about an amusement park? Who doesn’t love thrilling rides, churros, funnel cakes, and just escaping from the real world for a little bit and having fun? 

Kristina Hipolito is a Chesapeake native and a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations, she has a passion for writing, traveling, and event planning. Her aspirations include one day moving to the big city and working in either the entertainment travel/leisure, or media industry as a PR Professional, Marketing Coordinator, or Event Planner. In her spare time, you can find her on campus running to her next meeting or updating her multiple social networking sites. Follow her on Twitter @ktinaah or read her blog kristinahipolito.blogspot.com!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!