Stop Complaining About Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the kind of holiday that people either love or absolutely hate. Sure, Valentine’s Day may just be a cheesy day made of Hallmark and too much pink, but that is no reason to hate it.

Often, the people who hate Valentine’s Day are single and, therefore, feel that they cannot celebrate. However, being single doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the day of love! Discount chocolate should be enough of a reason to enjoy this time of year but there are other ways to celebrate the day. Use the holiday as an excuse to watch your favorite guilty-pleasure romantic movie or to break out a bottle of wine and relax. Call up your girlfriends and have a sleepover or hit the town and celebrate Galantine’s day with the ladies you love.

If you still cannot enjoy Valentine’s Day, then just treat it as another normal day. No one is forcing you to celebrate. Keep in mind that many other people don’t celebrate a holiday you may love and they don’t rain on your parade. Some people don’t celebrate Christmas yet they have to walk around in a sea of green and red for three months. So perhaps you can survive a week or two of pink and red hearts.

Whether you decide to celebrate the day or not, please just stop complaining about Valentine’s Day. It is here to stay so we may as well make the best of it. 

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!