An Open Letter to the Brown Girl That is Scared

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear brown girl,

My mind is jumbling with words. It hasn’t stopped since the election results came in. I wish I could have had faith in this country and the “American Dream.” You would think that after having a black president we would have made progress, right? Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. We just couldn’t get past the racism? No, we couldn’t. Maybe you’ve assimilated. Maybe you never experienced racism within the confines of the classroom while surrounded by your white classmates. Maybe your friend who voted for Trump isn’t necessarily racist, but you have to realize that they voted for someone who promoted racism, bigotry and xenophobia. They voted for someone who believes people with your skin color do not belong here – but you do.

Maybe you were born here, and you had the privilege of voting for someone with moral values and expertise. Or maybe you were brought here to escape the turmoil of your home country, only to be enthralled in more, and get threatened to be sent back to a country you do not know. I get it, it’s scary. I had to comfort a friend who was told to “go back home and build the wall” twice before Friday afternoon. How do you assume where someone is from, from the color of their skin? Will people think that I am Latinx or Middle Eastern because of my brown skin? Will they label me as a “lazy Mexican” or a “terrorist” or a “criminal”? It’s taken a long time to be comfortable with how our melanin reflects in the light like a fresh glazed honey bun, and now it is terrifying being in the skin you’re in. I get it, I’m afraid too.

Oh, brown girl, I wish I could make everything better. I wish screaming that we are #HereToStay was enough. I wish that yelling “F*CK TRUMP” was enough to hurt him the way he’s made it okay for people to hurt us. I wish… I wish… But wishing won’t do much. We have to take action, but when you’re ready of course. The best advice I got while in mourning was “You don’t have to be the martyr.” But when you are ready, you have to remember that it is about being intersectional.

“They took so much that they took away our fear” 

Remember that Black Lives Matter. Remember to protect your Muslim friends. Stand up for LGBTQIA+ rights. Have a voice for your undocumented friends and classmates that are terrified. And if you’re one of the 11 million undocumented immigrants? Know that no human being is illegal, and the only thing from keeping you safe is a piece of paper with a series of number. Always fight for Planned Parenthood. Stand together with all other marginalized groups because together, we are all the majority.

You are worthy. You are a beautiful human being who is not meant to be here to build walls or cause terror. Your smile brings warmth to this cold world full of hate. Surround yourself with people that lift you higher, and continue to empower you. Empower yourself. Take care of your mental and physical health. Treat yourself. Take a walk. Be the change. Never stop working towards your goals. Loving yourself in a time when people want you to surrender and fail is a radical act in itself.

But most of all, stay safe.

With much love,

Another scared brown girl

Jessica is a Theatre Major with a concentration in Costume Design. Although design is her passion, she loves writing and is so glad to be a part of Her Campus VCU. She hopes you enjoy her writing as much as she enjoys writing it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!