New Student Organization Forms to Support Victims of Sexual Abuse

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One in three girls have been sexually assaulted as a child. One in five women report to have been sexually assaulted; and 75%-95% of rape incidents are not reported. With such alarming statistics, students on campus have come together to form the new student organization, Fear to Freedom.

How was Fear to Freedom formed?
Fear to Freedom was first introduced to VCU after Rosemary Trible came to the Medical Centre at VCU to promote her organization. Fear to Freedom is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to redeeming and restoring lives wounded by sexual abuse by bringing them hope and healing. Rosemary dedicated her organization to a woman named Anne Pressly, an anchor for KATV Channel 7 in Little Rock, AK. Anne died at 26 years old after being brutally beaten and raped. Her rapist is now behind bars serving a life sentence. Anne’s story lead Rosemary to dedicate Fear to Freedom to Anne because she too is a victim of rape. 

Rosemary pioneered a community to support rape victims at VCU after hosting an event, Where’s the Line. At the event, various organizations (i.e. sorority/fraternity, other non-profit organization) came together to make kits with clean clothes for victims of sexual abuse called F2F Kits. The idea arose from a conversation with Jean Cheek — the coordinator of The Forensic Nurse Examiner Team at Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center — because his explanation of the hospital’s treatment of victims of sexual abuse is apalling. 

According to Jean, “Women and children who come for treatment and the PERK exam have their clothes kept for evidence. Those abused desperately want to take a shower and often victims have to leave in paper scrubs or hospital gowns. This only adds to their shame and trauma.”

After hearing this, it gave Fear to Freedom an idea on how to assist victims of sexual abuse. Fear to Freedom decided to create F2F Kits with clean clothes and supportive goodies for victims leaving the hospital. 

This semester, a group of peers from VCU came together to form the second nationwide branch of Fear to Freedom. Megan Goss is the President and co-founder of VCU’s branch. Fear to Freedom’s goal is to elevate awareness of sexual abuse, and bring change through vigilance and healing through compassion. In the business of “redeeming joy” to those who have been sexually assaulted or abused, Fear to Freedom works to encourage victims of sexual abuse to free themselves from their fears.

How can students get involved?
Anyone who is interested in the organization is encouraged to come out (or even volunteer) for Fear to Freedom’s main event in April, Where’s the Line. Together, the organization will make F2F kits for victims who are admitted into hospitals ranging from toddlers to grown adults. 

If you are interested in Fear to Freedom, please contact either the President Megan Goss or Vice President Payal Pie Sharma. 

Like Fear to Freedom on Facebook
Learn more.

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.