This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Mikaela Reinard

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Major: English and International Studies

Hometown: That’s a difficult question being a military kid. Where was I born? Yuba City, California. Where is my family from? Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and Adana, Turkey. Where have I lived the longest? That’s a tie between Altdorf, Germany and Ashburn, Virginia.

Campus Involvement: I’m president for Rhoads Hall Community Council, literary editor for the Amendment Literary Journal, write for the opinion column of the CT, editor for the Odyssey Online Magazine and I’m a DJ for WVCW.

Tell us what it’s like as Rhoads Hall Community Council President. 

Being Rhoads Hall Community Council President is fun, hectic and rewarding all at once. During the fire alarms people will ask me what’s going on and ask to fix the elevators. Although I can’t do that, I love planning programs for the residents and trying to find ways to make them feel at home on campus. It’s rewarding because of all the opportunities through the Residence Hall Association. This past weekend I traveled with them to the South Atlantic Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls conference and learned so much on how to heighten my impact in the residence hall. It was so rewarding to be a part of the conference and not only share what I have done, but also see what students all across the South Atlantic have done as well. Being the Community Council President has allowed me to meet so many people, both in the hall and out, and has given me the opportunity to create many friendships and spark up wonderful conversations.

What’s your favorite piece that you’ve written and why?

My favorite piece that I have written thus far is an editorial for the Commonwealth Times. It’s title “Abusing Freedom of Religion Dangerous to the State.” I enjoyed writing about it because I’m very opinionated and make it my primary goal to make sure that everyone can live through their life equally. I don’t believe anyone should be restricted for any reason because of someone else’s beliefs. (You can read it here!) 

Where’s one of your favorite spots on campus to get inspired?

My favorite spot to get inspired on campus is on the grassy area that’s right by Harris Hall and across the street from MCALC…where the Goatcado stand is.

What’s a quote that keeps you motivated?

“The grass is greener where you water it.”

What do you do in your free time?

I don’t have much free time, so when I do, I’m probably watching Netflix, sleeping or eating copious amounts of food.

Who’s your favorite author and why? 

I guess I would have to say Oscar Wilde. During my sophomore year of high school, I attached myself to the book “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” From the moment I laid my hands on that book, I fell in love with his writing. From that day on, I grew to love each and every book of Oscar Wilde’s.

What’s your spirit animal?

My spirit animal would have to be a lion. They’re the mascot for my favorite soccer team, Galatasaray. They’re so empowering and whenever I see a photo of one, I get inspired to be just as fierce as a lion.

Who do you admire most and why?

I admire my mom the most. She’s helped me through the easiest and toughest moments of my life. She’s gone through things that I couldn’t fathom experiencing. She’s my strength whenever I need it. I love my mom more than anything and my goal is to be her. 

VCU Contributor Account