Malika Gill, President of UNICEF at VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Malika (Molly) Gill

Age: 18

Year: Junior

Hometown: Richmond, VA

Major: Biology and Psychology

Why VCU? 

I grew up around Richmond, so I have been fortunate enough to grow up hearing all the amazing things that happen here at VCU. I knew I wanted to go to school in a city, and what better place than Richmond? We have the best food, a great research and medical facility and obviously the basketball culture.

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

Honestly, I’m not sure. I know I want to end up working in the healthcare field, but I also am very passionate about giving back in any way I can. Hopefully at some point after college I have the opportunity to volunteer abroad with children. In 5 years I want to be able to say I have made a tangible difference in another part of the world.

How are you involved on campus? 

I love to participate in a lot of campus activities: I T.A. for Phage Lab, participate in the Sikh Student Association, and I am really involved in the organization UNICEF at VCU. We are part of the US Fund for UNICEF’s Campus Initiative program. Our main goals are to educate, advocate, and fundraise for children in developing nations. At present, 17,000 children die daily from things we all take for granted-like having access to clean water. UNICEF strives to get that number down to zero and give all children access to education and opportunities. UNICEF has really changed my perspective on life and I definitely encourage everyone to get involved!

What do you plan to do as President of UNICEF at VCU? 

Our club has done some amazing things in the last few years. As president, I can only hope to keep UNICEF at VCU as successful as it has been!

Are there any events coming up that we should know about? 

We have our big event of the semester starting this month–our Trick or Treat for UNICEF Campaign! Early on Halloween night, a bunch of students get together to “trick-or-treat” for coins and cash around Richmond. You get to dress up, meet a bunch of people, and have a blast while raising money for a great cause! We will also be tabling and fundraising in various ways all month. You will definitely be seeing us around campus with our orange UNICEF Halloween boxes. Last year, our Trick-or-Treat Campaign raised around 2,000 dollars! Another big event we’re planning for the spring is a male pageant in collaboration with Her Campus VCU! More info to come!

When you’re not busy with UNICEF, how do you spend your time in Richmond? 

Most of the time I’m with my roommate watching Netflix and eating. When I’m not being lazy, I’m usually with my brothers! I’m blessed to have two awesome brothers in my life that live less than an hour away. We love trying new restaurants in Richmond, watching movies at the Byrd Theater, hanging by the river, and going to Rocket Fizz–the best candy store in Richmond!

Any tips on where to go for a collegiette break from school? 

The past 2 years I went on spring break with Alternative Spring Break at VCU. My first year, I went to New York to rebuild houses destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. Last year, I went to Miami to work with kids on health and nutrition. Both of these were such great experiences! I recommend doing Alternative Spring Break 100%. However, if I could go anywhere I would definitely say Grand Cayman. I went with my family this past summer and it beautiful!

Simren is the president of the Her Campus VCU chapter.  She is a fourth year student at Virginia Commonwealth University majoring in Biology, minoring in Spanish, and pursuing a career in medicine. She grew up in Virginia Beach, Va and believes that no matter where she goes, she will always be a beach bum at heart. Her favorite color is purple and she absolutely adores puppies, but she was never allowed to have one as a child (ruined childhood much?). She is proficient in the art of orange peeling and an avid Netflix watcher. She loves traveling, watching college baseball and basketball, and eating Thai food. Follow her on Instagram or Twitter, @loveesimm   #hcxo
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!