This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

From illustrations to paintings to portraits to animations and even clothing design, he does it all. As an aspiring character designer, his biggest dream is to one day work for Pixar or Cartoon Network’s late night television program, Adult Swim. Meet Malik Radford:

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Kinetic Imaging

Relationship Status: “It’s complicated”

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

What made you decide to come to VCU?

Of course VCU has a great art school, but cost played a big factor in my decision. I originally wanted to get out of Richmond. I wanted to go to Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida. However, even with a scholarship, it was still unaffordable. I love VCU’s diversity and the fact that the school offers numerous opportunities to better yourself and learn more about what to do in your specific career choice.

When did you first realize you loved art and how?

I realized I had talent in 3rd grade, but I didn’t think anything of it until middle school art class. In 7th grade, I started learning and teaching myself different art skills and realized that it was a lot of fun. That was when I decided that I wanted to make a career out of it.

What types of art do you create?

I’m mainly an illustrator, but I’m also somewhat of a painter, a portrait artist, an animator and clothing designer.

Which is your favorite?

Illustration.

What do you see yourself doing after graduation?

I want to work for Pixar or Adult Swim as a character designer. If that doesn’t work out, I want to be a high school art teacher. I think that teaching other people to do something you’re so passionate about is awesome. High school art is a good learning experience because at that point, you’re not a bad artist, but there are still so many great skills to learn.

How do you get involved and show off your talent?

I painted a mural for Pedalfest 2015 with a few other local artists and did an art show for a Halloween mural party downtown. I also did caricature drawings for an African American convention.

What events do you have coming up?

I may do a caricature fundraiser for Deep Run High School and I’m planning on making more merchandise.

What projects are you working on right now?

Right now, I’m working on a digital animation project and a couple commissions. I’m designing a crew-neck sweatshirt and a Goku vs Superman illustration.

If you want to check out any of Malik’s artwork, you can follow him on Instagram: @MalikRadford or visit his website to purchase stickers and prints.

Erica Dabney is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. Some of her favorite activities include discovering new music, tearing down the patriarchy and dining out at black-owned restaurants in Richmond. She plans to graduate with her bachelors in journalism in 2019.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!