This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Jasmine Ragland

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore 

Hometown: Petersburg, VA 

Major: Early Education 

What’s your favorite thing about living on VCU’s Campus?

I love being around my friends and always having people around. Friends really do make campus life so much more interesting.

You do other student’s hair on campus — when and why did you start?

I started my freshman year, fall 2013. I needed the extra money so I decided to put my skills to work.

Bob cut done by Jasmine Ragland

How did you feel when you became a licensed cosmetologist?

I felt accomplished and proud. I was the only person in my class to pass both the written and practical exam. My mother wasn’t too fond of me taking on a trade in high school instead of being “college ready,” but it all worked out for the better. I still made it to VCU!

Since you don’t plan on being a full-time stylist, what career do you have planned for your future?

I am an Early Education major. I plan on being an elementary school teacher for Title I schools.

What’s your favorite hairstyle to do on yourself?

My hair is natural so a big curly puff is my go-to style for when I don’t feel like brushing my hair. It’s super easy and it’s cute for all occasions.

What’s the best hair advice you’ve ever received ?

“Do what works for YOUR hair!” It took me a while to figure out how my hair reacts to certain styles and products. Once I stopped trying to mimic others, I finally understood my hair and learned how to take better care of it.

You can see more of Jasmine’s work here!

Currently I am a Sophomore at VCU , pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Fashion Merchandising. I hope to travel to different spots around the world inspiring designers and retailers to be creative and innovative as a trend chaser/forecaster.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!