This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Stage 1: Shock

When you are assigned a group project, your first reaction is usually that of utter disbelief. I mean, why are group projects still a thing that exists anyway…?

Stage 2: Denial

When you realize that, yes, unfortunately, group projects are still an apparently necessary part of higher education, you will simply deny the reality of the situation and hope it just goes away.

Stage 3: Pain

Once you realize that the group project is not at all going away, you somehow come to terms with the unwarranted and unnecessary pain that it will without a doubt bring into your life.

Stage 4: Anger

As the group project moves forward, you become increasingly frustrated by your group members and you realize that you have lost any emotional stability you may or may not have had before you embarked on this long and trying journey.

Stage 5: Depression

At this point, you consistently find yourself at a loss for words. Nothing is going right and you question if completion is even a feasible goal.  Yeah, you pretty much just want to be left alone.

Stage 6: Guilt

Right before the project is due, you recognize it could have been a slightly less horrible experience if you had just been more open to working with others, but alas, there’s pretty much nothing you can do about it now and you will probably continue in this self-destructive cycle.

Stage 7: Acceptance

Somehow, you managed to pull everything together at the last minute and although you know you’ve accomplished “C” level work at best, you are slightly proud. After all, you conceived the idea, labored over the details and turned out a completed assignment. It’s basically like giving birth to a child; he may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but he’ll do alright.

Gia is a Fashion Merchandising student at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!