5 Things My Little Sister Should Know About High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Sis, I know growing up can be hard and full of awkward moments. I want you to know that it gets better. These five things will help you through your years in high school and may even help you in college. Here’s to surviving four years of high school.

1. Don’t let others change you. 

Although you’d hate to admit it, not all of your friends in high school will remain your friends in college. This is normal as you discover yourself and find the path you want to follow in life. Keep your chin up and enjoy the little moments you’ll remember most once you’ve graduated. The most important thing to remember is to love yourself.

2. Take advantage of all the opportunities and classes high school has to offer. 

The more involved you are, the faster high school will go. Clubs and sports are great ways to get involved in the community and a great way to make new friends. If you find a club or sport you love, don’t be afraid to pursue it while in college. This will make your years in college great and may even help with homesickness.

3. Know that your big sister have your back. 

As you know, high school is full of drama. No matter the situation you’re in, know you’re not alone. We’re more experienced and have made mistakes we don’t want you to make so don’t hesitate to ask us questions. We’re a phone call of text away. The question can be as big as whether you should continue taking Spanish in college, or it can be advice on your wardrobe. 

4. Getting ready to graduate high school and preparing yourself mentally for college can be an emotional rollercoaster. 

Don’t forget that your end goal is to continue your education at a great college or university. Although I’d love to see you around VCU, you don’t have to follow in my footsteps. It’s your future so you get to decide what you do and where you go after high school. The important thing is that you’re happy doing what you love.

5. Don’t stress too much about that cute boy in math class. 

If he hasn’t made a move, don’t worry too much; if he can’t see the beauty in front of him, he doesn’t deserve you. You’ve got plenty of time to fall in love so stay cool. 

I’m proud of the wonderful young lady you are becoming. Keep working hard, stay positive, and enjoy high school. You’re wishing for it to be over, but once you’re out you’ll miss the traditions and small moments. 

XO. 

Jocelin is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University where she is studying print journalism with a minor in general business. In between classes and work, she enjoys drinking coffee, watching Netflix, and working out. She hopes to one day be the editor-in-chief of a magazine and live in NYC. She is a Pinterest enthusiast and loves DIY projects.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!