TV Shows You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Fall is exciting for so many reasons, from the start of football to the beauty of autumn leaves. One thing I personally love about fall is the return of my favorite TV shows… mainly Scandal. However, I’ve also fallen in love with a few new shows this season that I think everyone should be DVR-ing. Read on to find out what you should watch and what you should skip!

The Flash

Whether you like superheros or not, this is a must-see show for the fall. It follows Barry Allen AKA “The Flash,” who just happens to be super attractive, as he figures out his newfound powers as a superhero. It’s filled with romance, humor, and suspense- a thrilling combination that all will enjoy. If you watch TV with your boyfriend, he’ll be thrilled at this new addition to your weekly repertoire. It’s also set in the same world as the show Arrow, which features an INCREDIBLY hot lead actor, so expect guest appearances!

How to Get Away with Murder

This show is pretty intense, but it’s a great follow-up to Scandal on Thursday nights. It’s created by the ever-brilliant Shonda Rhimes and features a bad-a$$ female law professor (played by Viola Davis), as well as five kids from her class that she has chosen to work at her law firm. It’s kind of dark and super suspenseful, but if you like Scandal, you’ll probably like this show as well. Plus, if you plan on going to law school, it’s kind of required viewing. 

Red Band Society 

This is easily one of the best new shows of the season, and I can already tell it’s going to be around for a while. It follows a group of teenagers through their separate experiences in a Los Angeles hospital, as well as their relationships with each other. It can get kind of sad, but it’s actually really uplifting most of the time! I’m about as emotional as they come, and this show has only made me tear up once, so at the very least, it won’t be like a weekly installment of The Fault in Our Stars. It’s a little guilty of glamorizing hospitals, but it’s definitely a nice change of pace from the typical medical show. 

Go ahead and skip… Gotham

I got WAY too excited about this show and was sorely let down after the premiere. Ben McKenzie is as hot as ever, but this show is way too dark (and scary!) for weekly viewing. It’s a cool idea to do a Batman prequel, but if you don’t want to feel depressed/scared every week, skip this show and watch re-runs of The OC instead. God bless Ryan Atwood. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.