Parks and Recreation: A Whirlwind Love Affair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

I can remember it like it was yesterday.  It was 2009 and you had just stepped on the scene.  Everyone loved you, but I wasn’t so easy to please.  I didn’t see what the big deal was.  To me, you were just like the rest of your counterparts: average, and with way too many overly exaggerated characters.  I even attempted to give you a chance to prove yourself once, and while you weren’t terrible, you left much to be desired.

But my feelings about you changed a couple of months ago.  I was home for winter break and I was feeling adventurous.  Desperation and boredom drove my actions, so I sought you out for entertainment.  That’s when it happened.  I fell for you, and boy did I fall hard.  I made a genuine connection with you and that’s why it hurt so much when I found out that you were leaving for good, ending our short time together. It’s been a few days now since you’ve been gone, and I can’t help but replay the memories over and over in my head.

In order to move on from you, I need closure, so I hope that this farewell will do the trick.

Goodbye Leslie.  Your go get ‘em attitude and tenacious spirit will always inspire me to chase my dreams and to never accept failure as a viable option.

Goodbye Ben. I can always ac-count on you to be awkward and mature and amazing.  Calc-you-later!

Goodbye Ann. Swim far and wide you beautiful, tropical ethnically ambiguous fish.

Goodbye Ron.  You are my spirit animal. That is all.

Goodbye Tom.  Your swag level is unsurpassable and I am out of your league. TREAT!

Goodbye Donna.  Beyoncé already spent 4 minutes describing you, so I don’t have to. YO’SELF!

Goodbye April.  You are so loving and wonderful and dark and intelligent and funny and stupid and I hate you.

Goodbye Andy.  You ARE the greatest rock star in the universe. Don’t forget that.

Goodbye Garry.  You’re pleasant and know how to make the best out of a bad situation.  You’re a good man.

Goodbye Chris. You make me happy and I know that makes you happy.  Happiness everywhere!

Also, Jean-Ralphio and Mona-Lisa, good riddance.  You guys are the wooorst!

I’ll miss you Parks and Recreation.  My life has changed for the better since encountering you and I’ll forever be grateful for that.

Kya Jones

Vanderbilt

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.