New Year’s Eve Dresses for Every Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

New Year’s Eve is the one night a year that I commit fully to clubs, a hot dress, and coconut tequila. I’ve never been a big party person (except for freshman year which doesn’t count), and I become even more of a hermit when the temperature starts dropping. Like sorry, if it’s under 40, blankets > bandage skirts. But New Year’s is the big exception, and buying the perfect dress is an absolute necessity. So in order to help y’all out with your NYE dress shopping, I’ve compiled a list of the best dresses for every body type, because we all look good in different things and there’s no need to pretend otherwise. For example, if you have a booty, Herve Leger-style dresses might look more slutty than sexy- I only say this because I, too, have a booty, and I know how hard it can be. So read on to find the best dress for your body and get ready for an amazing evening, no matter how you choose to spend it!

Hourglass- Kate Spade Bow Back Fit and Flare Dress, $428

Flatter that tiny waist in this fit and flare dress from Kate Spade. Yes, it’s pricey, but you’ll be able to wear this for so many years, provided you don’t ruin it on NYE. So yeah, if you’re planning on raging with frat boys, maybe steer clear. But otherwise, this dress, with its adorable detailed back (check it out via the link), will flatter your curves and make you look sexy AND sophisticated. Plus, this navy hue is just really too beautiful.

Petite- Free People Liquid Shine Mini Dress, $98

This is not a dress for wallflowers or introverts, because you will be the center of attention wearing this little number from Free People. The sequins are super fun and festive for the holiday, but because the dress is a darker shade, it isn’t quite as overwhelming as you’d think. The drop waist is also super flattering if you’re petite. If you aren’t a fan of the cobalt shade pictured here, the dress also comes in black, rose gold, and a super sexy raspberry.

Pear- Free People New Romantics Cat’s Meow Dress, $198

This dress is great on so many levels. First, it has cats on it, but it won’t make you look like a crazy cat lady. Second, the plunging neckline and subtle open back are sexy without being overwhelming. And third, the A-line cut and black sequin bottom is super flattering for girls with hips and/or a booty. Oh, and you’ll probably be able to wear this on many more occasions than just NYE. Count me in, guys, I’ve found my dress!

Apple- BCBGeneration Metallic Jacquard Dress, $88.80

All guys want a little mystery, especially on New Year’s Eve, so leave them guessing in this sexy yet classy dress. It oozes sophistication, from the jacquard print to the sleek faux leather detailing. The high neck and short hemline will also flatter your super toned arms and legs, making you look super sexy without being overt about it. Plus, this dress is on sale so you really can’t go wrong! Buy it ASAP!

Tall- BCBG Elyzabeth Crossed Cutout Dress, $149

If you’ve got it, flaunt it. Rock those long legs and a slim midsection in this sexy cutout dress. The fact that it’s an LBD only makes it more sophisticated, which is perfect if you’re going out on NYE in a big city! This dress is also on sale in a major way, so get it before it’s gone!  

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.