Fall Break Style Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

We’ve all spent far too many hours studying, stress eating, and binge-watching Netflix in the spirit of procrastination, but finally, Fall Break has arrived. Just a few more days separate us from that glorious four-day break, and it could not be more exciting. However, if you’re like most students, you probably haven’t had a whole lot of time to think about your wardrobe for your upcoming vacation. So let me make it simple for you- here are a few must-haves for every possible scenario. These items will make you look stylish every day of Fall Break without breaking the bank or requiring lots of hours spent in dressing rooms. So read on and find your must-have, and then head online to purchase it ASAP! 

If you’re going to a beach…

…whether it be PCB or Gulf Shores, consider this maxidress from Billabong a must-have. You can’t stay in your swimsuit all day, so when nighttime hits and you want to look a little flirty for your crush, slip into this beachy maxidress and wow all of the boys on your trip! It also comes in black, which might look better on brunettes. 

If you’re heading to Gatlinburg… 

…you need some cozy clothes that will keep you warm without making you look frumpy. The key is layering, so invest in this adorable sweatshirt from Tobi. It would look cute with some jeans or shorts, but you could even wear it with pajama bottoms at night! Your sorority shirts might be comfortable, but they’re really not helping you in the style department. 

If you’re going out west…

… you need to make those Cali natives a little jealous. Beat them at their own game with this casual yet oh-so-sexy white dress from Free People. Nothing beats an open back or a plunging neckline- the key is to balance out the sex appeal with a loose fit. Expect lots of corny pickup jokes about how you’re an “angel fallen from heaven” while wearing this dress. Added plus? You can wear it day and night! 

If you’re heading up north… 

… you probably already know it’s going to be a little chilly. But that’s okay! You finally have an excuse to break out your favorite layers. Pair basically any top, from a plaid button-down to a graphic tee, with these awesome vegan leather leggings from Madewell. They will instantly add style to any outfit without sacrificing comfort- you can’t argue with leggings, can you?

If you’re staying here… 

… my recommendation is to avoid staying in your pajamas the entire break. There’s nothing wrong with a little R&R, and God knows you deserve it, but make an effort to see a good movie (Gone Girl, anyone?) or hit up a new restaurant with a friend. Look cozy and fun in this printed pullover from Lucky Brand, which is perfect for disguising a food baby AND keeping you warm in a chilly movie theatre! 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.