EB Armstrong: Queen of the TBTs & President of Glamour Gals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Name: EB ArmstrongHometown: Reno, NevadaMajor: EconomicsMinor: Corporate Strategy, FrenchCampus involvement: President of Glamour Gals, VSG Senator for Moore College, Team Leader for the Nisolo Consulting Group through Student Consulting for Non-Profit Organizations, Committee Member of VSG Public Relations, Pi Beta Phi Sorority, Dore for a Day 

What is Glamour Gals and how did you get involved?

Glamour Gals is an adorable organization (which I encourage everyone to join on Anchorlink) that goes on Friday afternoons to retirement homes to paint the lady resident’s nails, do their makeup, and gossip with them. When I came to Vanderbilt, I was looking for fun, hands on, and unique service opportunities to get involved in. My RA freshman year (S/O to Samara Lieberman) was president of Glamour Gals, and she encouraged me to get involved. It has ended up becoming the most fun activity I do on Vanderbilt’s campus. The makeover gives you something to look forward amidst the stress of the week.  It is so rewarding, and I always feel as though it kicks my weekend off right.

What has been the most rewarding about Glamour Gals?

When we walk through the door of the retirement home that we have been going to this semester, the lady at the front desk and the women in the lobby exclaim “The Glamour Gals are here!” Such a hard thing for me to accept, with three of my grandparents in retirement homes, is the lack of contact residents have with people outside the retirement home. I can’t imagine living in a place in which I feel isolated from my family and friends. I love that Glamour Gals allows me to engage with these residents and add a little glamour to their lives. I love talking to the women, who have such interesting stories and love talking about their family and life prior to the retirement home. They’re always so grateful for our presence, and their boost of confidence from their prettier nails or glowing face is evident at the end of each makeover.

I know that you’re also involved in VSG. How did you get involved in that and why?

I really wanted to get involved in VSG and so many other activities, but like most freshmen, I didn’t think about signing up until it was too late. This year, I made sure to be more proactive and go for the things I wanted to get involved in on campus. This led me to run for Senator of Moore College. I’m very excited about living in the new College Halls at Kissam, and, because the Moore senator gets to also sit in on the Student Governance Board for Moore, I also get to help build a new community on campus while remaining a liaison between VSG and Moore College, which I really like.

You’re also famous on campus for your perfect TBTs on Instagram (@ebilicious), what’s your secret?

Honestly, the reason my Instagram is so popular is because I had an extremely awkward childhood, which provides endless TBTs (aka EBTs). However, here is my devised list of suggestions for enhancing the quality of your Instagram.

1. Have an awkward childhood  (if you were normal, I don’t know what to tell you)

2. Take pictures of unique, random hobbies or experiences

3. Be creative with the captions

4. Do not go too crazy with the hashtags or filters

5. Come up with a trademark, ongoing photo steam of something that you do regularly. For example, I take pictures of people making out at frat parties.

6. Lastly, I’m not sure how scientifically true this is, but the time you post is very important. Think about when everyone looks at Instagram most frequently and when other people post a ton of pictures so that there is no overlap.

It’s been a long semester and I know we’re all mentally exhausted with schoolwork. What are your plans for break?

As I’m sure is the case for the majority of the student (and maybe faculty?) population, I intend to do nothing but wear Christmas pjs and watch Christmas themed episodes of my favorite TV shows. I need to make up for the lack of Christmas spirit (or any spirit for that matter) I have during finals week.

Niina Kurki

Vanderbilt

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.