Best Sushi in Nashville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Recently, I’ve found myself craving sushi for every meal – I even woke up the other day wishing I could have a grilled salmon roll for breakfast. I have no other explanation for this, other than the fact that sushi is the best thing to ever happen to world (I might even go as far as to say that it is my favorite food of all time). Thankfully, there are several places in Nashville where I can go to satisfy my cravings. Here’s a breakdown of some of the sushi places closest to campus! 

GOGO SUSHI, 2057 Scarritt Place

This little sushi restaurant is super close to campus (it’s right by CVS!) and very affordable. I think that the best way to describe this place is custom fast-food sushi. You put in your order on a machine and pick it up at the counter later. They have several roll options, but you can also choose to create your own. You choose your wrap, the main ingredients, the add-ons and voilà! 

SAMURAI SUSHI, 2209 Elliston Place

Located on Elliston Place, Samurai is a short walk away and was recently ranked as a Top 5 Sushi Spot by The Tennessean. The sushi here is amazing, as you can see in the picture above, and there are so many rolls to choose from. If you ever find yourself in Samurai, go for the Volcano roll or the unlikely-but-delicious Choo Choo roll. 

O’SAKE JAPANESE RESTAURANT, 2204 Elliston Place

O’Sake is located almost right across the street from Samurai, so you actually have two great options in that area!  They have almost 80 options of sushi rolls to choose from, starting at only $5.50. One of my favorite things about O’Sake is their Two Roll Special, where you pay a discounted price and get two rolls. Perfect for those of us who can never decide what we want! My go-to order is a two-roll special of the Red Dragon roll and the Crazy Spider roll. PS: They deliver!

VIRAGO, 1126 McGavock St

One of my good friends and I decided to treat ourselves to a fine-dining dinner experience last week, and we ended up at Virago. I am so happy to have discovered this place; it is definitely going to be my new go-to for celebratory meals! It’s on the pricey side, so I probably won’t make it over there more than a couple times a semester, but the dishes are well worth the splurge. Of the two rolls we ordered, my favorite was the Rising Sun, but absolutely everything on the menu sounded mouth-watering. I suggest you add this to your Vanderbilt/Nashville bucket-list!
Niina Kurki

Vanderbilt