From 18 to 50, Pangaea has Something for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As a female student at Vanderbilt with a large appetite for clothes and accessories, it gets hard to say no to those new pair of shoes or that gorgeous blouse that you have waiting in your online shopping cart. I’ve fallen victim to this addiction too many times to count, and if you’re thinking this is a way to break your shopping addiction, there’s not. I recently explored 21st street with a friend of mine, Louisa, where we stumbled across Pangaea in Hillsboro Village, a clothing and accessories store. After talking with Katie, an employee at Pangaea, I learned just how unique the store is to Nashville.

After 25 years in the business, sole owner Sandra prides herself in traveling the world and its influence on her store. She’s drawn a little from every region she’s traveled to, such as Mexico, and derived the store name from the idea of the supercontinent Pangaea. Katie’s personal favorites include several bags from Guatemala which are made from recycled scraps and larger pieces of fabric. Throughout Sandra’s 25 years as the owner, she is consistently involved in everything with the store and continues to keep it that way, always keeping in mind the intimate atmosphere of the community’s store.

I immediately felt the close-knit atmosphere as soon as I walked into this quaint space. While interviewing Katie we were interrupted by Sandra’s dog that casually strutted between us, pushing open the swing-door to make his way back to his owner. There are so many unique items in Pangaea, which is an element they continue to emphasize. They essentially want you to have a unique piece of them. Pangaea definitely prides itself on being that small company where different generations can come and share together, where whether you’re 18 or 50, there’s something for everyone.

Make sure to check them out on Facebook and add them as a friend.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1632806075

Photo Credit: Louisa Wells

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!