priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

Why I Don’t Post My Relationship on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

One question that people never seem to stop asking me is why I don’t post pictures of my boyfriend on social media. We live in an age where a relationship isn’t official until you post a picture of you two on social media…. Which in my opinion I find complete bull. I use to think couples posting pictures of themselves together on social media was cute and adorable. Every now and then I would see couples posting pictures of themselves on special occasions, like Valentine’s Day, or a spontaneous date night, or birthdays.

Today, couples are posting pictures of every moment they share together. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen couples gather all of the pictures and videos of themselves and it made into some lame slide show with a lame caption and song to go along with it. My social media timelines would be flooded with same lovey dovey couples and it made me nauseated. I had promised myself that if I were to ever get into a serious relationship, no matter how much I loved that person, I would rarely ever post them on social media. I didn’t want to be like the people on my timeline that annoyed the hell out of me.

One of the few benefits of not sharing my relationship on social media is that it’s kept private. I don’t like the idea of inviting people into my relationship via social media. Although every now and then it’s nice to share a cute pic or video of yourselves, a relationship is between two people and not your 500 plus followers.

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.